Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms. >

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 PM
GMA

dd was out of the house for 5 yrs before I retired and she and hubby were living in Texas. Turned her room into my sewing room. Hubby and her moved back to the area and into our house for 3 mos. 4 room house and everyone else - so - just move to a bigger room. She was the youngest - smallest room. It all worked out fine.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I can't completely take over their rooms yet since they come home for college breaks. As soon as they graduate, I won't feel any obligation to keep 'their' rooms for them anymore.

Of course, one of my daughters thinks that we should be keeping not only her room as a shrine, but the house as well. She was shocked when I said something about moving some day. 'you can't sell this house - I grew up here'. I told her she was free to buy it if she wants. :wink:
Our DS did buy our house where he spent his early childhood when he got out of the Navy. Lived with us a short while before deceiding to buy it.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

my kids have been out of the house for quite some time; when we bought this house (it is 3 bedroom, there are just dh & i) we set up one room as a sewing room/office, the middle room we set up with 2 twin beds and a dresser for the granddaughter's when they come to visit...that was the first year (well, maybe 6 months) then i decided i really wanted to set up my long-arm again (it had been staying with a friend), so i justified this in my head...the girls only come to visit once a year, do i really need to maintain a room for them???, so the beds went to the garage, the dresser became storage for quilting supplies and the machine went in...about 2 weeks later...surprise visit...the girls stood in the doorway of the room with their mouths hanging open...then the oldest (she was 11 at the time)said...
"hey cool, we can build a fort and sleep under the machine table...ok, grandma?"
so, out came the old play/camp blankets, the girls had a blast 'building' their fort under the table, we blew up air mattresses, and it was all ok. :)
Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 AM

I took over my son's room once he started grad school and his own apartment. He did not seem to mind, he had gone to college far away, so was only home at Christmas and summers before, I took over his room. - but not completely. He still has a lot of stuff - you know all the boy toys - legos and k'nex along with many books, So I have not yet progressed to his closet or bookshelves.

He came home for Thaksgiving and Christmas, and I had to take a hiatus from quilting for that time(was really really tough, since quilting has become my therapy), not to mention actually clean up the mess.

I always loved to sew and with no extra rooms in the house, I was relegated to the dining room, and DH getting frustrated with in progress projects. Now my in process projects can relax and so can I.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:49 AM

Hah! I didn't wait until they left the nest, just when they moved to have bedrooms in the basement, separate from each other. Their rooms are vacant now and slowly getting cleaned out of their belongings, whenever they come for a visit. I love having a room filled with sunshine in the morning, to sew in.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:37 AM

Oh my goodness I will never forget the look on my daughters face when she came back for a visit...this was her third attempt at moving out and somehow I felt she really was going to stay out on her own that time...well I guess she thought I should have kept her rm for her....I was so depressed when she moved-I was now a empty nester and didn't like it one bit so I consoled myself by setting my sewing rm up and she was shocked...lol

Our house has 2 bedrms upstairs & 2 downstairs[basement], the rms downstairs are bigger but w/ small windows no natural light so I stay upstairs and the kids don't get it why I wouldn't move to a larger rm.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:42 AM

I did not take any of our children's (there are 4 of them) rooms when they were still away at college but as soon as they either moved out to their own places or were married we turned one into a guest room, one into an office and one into my sewing room. They all are very comfortable with this and know that at any time they need or want to come home the rooms can easily be changed back. Change the room to your sewing room but leave the door open, it is still their home.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 AM

My daughter expected a quilt for her ASAP.that didn't happen but I am working on it.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM

When we first moved into our house, my sewing room was up on the second floor in what should have been a 4th bedroom but it was never walled off from the master bedroom. I sewed when I could, but could not when SH was sleeping. First my daughter and then my son moved from their tiny bedrooms into our half finished basement complete with drywall, berber carpet, finished celing with lights and heat. When my son was ready to move out to his first apt, I was devistated. He and I are very close (he is the one who shares my love and talent of sewing/quilting) My DH got mad at me because I was in tears while he was packing his things and told me that my son thought I was mad at him. So, I bucked up and went down in the basement to help him pack. We laughed, cried and reminisced. All of a sudden my son asked me what I was doing--when I said what do you mean? He told me that I had been looking around and measuring the space. He said he thought it would be a great idea to move my sewing room down there and he came back for 3 weekends to help me clean the carpet, paint and move all my furniture and stuff down. It is funny, but I feel close to him when I am down there.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by fktsewing
When we first moved into our house, my sewing room was up on the second floor in what should have been a 4th bedroom but it was never walled off from the master bedroom. I sewed when I could, but could not when SH was sleeping. First my daughter and then my son moved from their tiny bedrooms into our half finished basement complete with drywall, berber carpet, finished celing with lights and heat. When my son was ready to move out to his first apt, I was devistated. He and I are very close (he is the one who shares my love and talent of sewing/quilting) My DH got mad at me because I was in tears while he was packing his things and told me that my son thought I was mad at him. So, I bucked up and went down in the basement to help him pack. We laughed, cried and reminisced. All of a sudden my son asked me what I was doing--when I said what do you mean? He told me that I had been looking around and measuring the space. He said he thought it would be a great idea to move my sewing room down there and he came back for 3 weekends to help me clean the carpet, paint and move all my furniture and stuff down. It is funny, but I feel close to him when I am down there.
That was such a wonderful story. I had a tear. Thank You for sharing. I appreciate it so much. :XD: