Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Favorite machine in your collection and what would complete it >

Favorite machine in your collection and what would complete it

Favorite machine in your collection and what would complete it

Old 08-19-2018, 02:23 PM

My favorite is my Featherweight. But I have a treadle 66 that I like a lot as well...Still getting the hang of the treadle.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

I’ve been trying to sort out what machines I have and want to keep. The machines that sew the nicest have usually been nearly beat to death, left for dead and restored by me. But those have mostly been straight stitch. Sssoooo I’m thinking lots of TLC and about any old straight stitch will be a good candidate to be anybody’s favorite. For treadling one of the thick hand wheels is the best no matter the machine. For HC my favorite is a Singer 99 that was DOA and restored - it is the best for button holes. For Japanese zig zag I have a bunch of favorites so I’m not going to name names. For low cost with utility stitches, a Kenmore with a free arm - yes a plastic machine. For high end, I love all the Elna machines. I got rid of a plastic Janome - too wimpy. I have had Bernina and Pfaff - ok machines. I’ve had a couple Vikings which were ok. I do keep around a Singer 403 or a 503 - works freer than the 401 and 500 and does just as many stitches. I don’t really collect, I just keep finding machines that need TLC. Lately, I’m finding I need to seriously purge so we can gut the house then rebuild. I don’t know how many I will be able to store. I do keep using the pink Elna. It simple and has a nice stitch.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:59 PM

Fortunately it had the 4 holes when I removed the motor and the reproduction belt guard and bobbin winder fit.

Originally Posted by Steelsewing View Post
Do be cautious. Many 15-91's cannot be converted to treadle.
l