Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you sew and quilt? >

Where do you sew and quilt?

Where do you sew and quilt?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 PM

I share a spare room with my son half of it is for my sewing, the other half he uses for his gaming systems. However, since there is no TV in that room I don't like being isolated, and my husband doesn't like being by himself watching TV, so I have ended up with a table in the living room so I can quilt and watch TV with my husband. Now the top of my sewing cabinet is lined up with stacks of projects waiting to be completed. :)
Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 AM

I, too, began sewing on our dining room table. Moved to our bedroom for (very short)while, then back to the dining room. We completed our family room a couple of years ago and I thought it'd be great if I 'took over' the living room. DH didn't think so. I moved upstairs to our fifth, unused bedroom. I HATE it up there - it's small and lonely. So, I moved just the sewing machine downstairs in the living room, but that now means the ironing board is up in the living room (all the time) and my cutting mat, etc. is in the dining room (I do put it away when not in use). My immediate need stuff is stored in one drawer of the dining room buffet. However, DH is still not happy about my sewing machine being in the living room so I'm in the process of moving my (oh so huge) stash into our storage area (about 3' x 20') and just taking my machine and stuff back upstairs - he'll just never see me this way :) I will sew there during the day and hand sew downstairs with him in the evening, in the family room. Our never used living room will be dusted once a week and call out to me to come back, but... :)
Old 02-18-2010, 05:54 AM

I began quilting in our dining room then moved to one of the upstairs bedrooms. DH uses the other one for his photography stuff. Problem is that both rooms still have beds and nighttables in them as they serve as guest rooms when DS#3 visits often for weekends with his 2 kids.

I miss the big sewing space on the dining room table but love the sewing room because I can leave projects out, and a mess on the floors, and just close the door until my next sewing time.
May in Jersey
Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 AM

My "sewing room" is my unfinished basement. Because the furnace is down there, it is warm in the winter but cool in the summer. I don't worry about stray threads falling on the cement floor and it gives me a large area to lay out my quilts before sandwiching. We lovingly refer to it as the dungeon!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 AM

Since we are mostly full-time RVers, I have a table set up in the back window of our 5th wheel. We host for state parks in Oregon so when I need to sandwich a quilt, I usually take it to the Visitor Center after hours and lay it out on the big tables there. I only try to machine quilt small quilts and send the bigger ones out. I have a long kitchen counter that is great for cutting and ironing. Been doing this for almost 5 years and yes, it does get frustrating at times.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:01 AM

The only rooms I don't sew in are the kitchen and my bedroom. Every other room is fair game for some sort of sewing activity. I live alone and I do have a daybed set up in the smallest of the 3 bedrooms for when DD comes to visit although I do have to shift all the extra quilts somewhere else. I have a "real" sewing room but I also have machines set up in the dining room and a small corner of the living room. I sew depending on where the best light is at the time. I spent a lot of years just making do when the kids were growing up...I'm making up for it now. There are times when the whole house really looks messy but I can always call it "creative clutter" lol
Old 02-18-2010, 08:27 AM

Living in a senior high rise I have a very small apartment so my sewing table and machines were in my bedroom(by the way the bed has to go...lol)Well now I have moved all my sewing things to my daughters scrapbook store.
I have huge tables to work on ample space for my sewing machines great lighting....people coming and going to talk to. Bonding time with my daughter and DIL who comes to scrapbook. I can't have it better then that. Plus I get out of this apartment 5 days a week.

Donna P
Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 AM

I have an extra table in my large dining/family room for sewing. I need to get track of the family while I'm sewing, and this works great for me.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM

I too used to sew in the living/dining room area, but have converted our 2nd bedroom into a combination sewing/exercise room. I have a radio and CD player, but still think it can be lonely when DH is home watching TV or computing in the living room, hence I don't quilt or sew in the evenings when he is home. Instead of a TV I listen to sound books when sewing/quilting.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 AM

Almost everywhere! Right in this room, next to my computer is my Janome 11000, on which I do embroidery and piece quilts. I keep all my machine embroidery stuff in here and all our ironing/pressing equipment. And the bed I sleep in. As my husband's physical pain and disabilities progressed, I gave up my half of our king-sized bed at the other end of the house, but the master bath there is still "mine" as is half the closet and drawer space. That allows me storage space in this room for thread & notions, etc.

In the basement are 2 small former bedrooms, one is his office and one has my cutting table, fabric & batting storage, 2 sewing machines and a serger. (I use these machines when I need to by setting them up on one end of my cutting table.) Another basement room, a large one, has my Grace frame and mid-arm machine set up in it. (The furnishings and other equipment in there belong to other family members, but the room is big enough for us to share.) All 3 basement rooms are cold in the winter, so I don't get much done there in cold weather.

For part of the year, I use my cutting table to lay out a quilt and hand-quilt long straight lines that I've marked with painters' tape. For the rest of the year, I keep the quilt upstairs in my dining room (on a quilt rack). There I hand quilt the small areas, usually by draping the quilt over the back of a dining room chair, which is very convenient because I can work all around it without having to move it. I also do a lot of hand quilting and all my binding handwork while sitting on my bed. (I own wooden frame ends and 10' poles that I used to hand quilt on, but I hated the process, so I dismantled it; now I have a lot more control so get more done with nicer stitching.)

Once the quilt I'm hand quilting is off my cutting table, it's time to cut all the pieces for my next quilt. (I have plenty of time to plan the quilt and assemble all the fabrics while my cutting table is being used as a "quilt frame".)