Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Greetings from Germany >

Greetings from Germany

Greetings from Germany

Old 08-31-2018, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Your HSTs in shades of brown are very effective. Paired with your choice of prints, it looks great! It looks like you've quilted it enough to me-- just enjoy it. Once the binding is on and it's been washed and dried, it seems like it's finished! Don't look back, move forward! Let's see your next one. :-)
Haha, thank you! I'll go get cracking
Old 09-23-2018, 10:30 AM

Welcome to Quilting Board. Yes quilt fabric in Europe is very expensive and is usually older fabric or just to the taste of the shopowner no variety of choice, limited color palette, not all themes of fabric. I buy from USA from www.equilter.com they have affordable shipping price to EU. Stay under 22 euro to avoid paying extra customs tax etc.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:13 PM

Welcome from Maryland!
Old 09-26-2018, 10:59 AM

Welcome aboard, Olea, thought I had responded to this thread already but greetings from one 'Blossom to another

My dad was in the Army and I was actually born in Regensburg, Germany but we left by the time I was two so don't remember it.

I think that's a wonderful first quilt!

I get a lot of my fabric from the thrift stores. Here in the Seattle area I often find whole yardage pieces but also scrap bags. There is nothing wrong at all with using garments for fabric and the nice thing is that they usually have fabric information included in the label. While 100% cotton is preferred for quilting for a number of reasons, poly/cotton can also be used. When they first came out quilters loved them because of the brightness of colors, the shine, and no ironing! But they can be thin, not wear well, and are slippery little devils so I recommend pinning the heck out of them.

Many of us "burn test" our found fabrics. You can do a google and find lots of information on it including videos. I prefer to use a lighter myself, some people use (unscented) candles. You can also use matches but you want to be able to smell the fabric, not just the match.

Poly/blend fabrics will tend to produce some smoke, a hard edge (sometimes with globs of melted plastic) usually black, and burns fast. The burn line often feels sticky as well. Some of it smells awful too, even sometimes before burning.

Pure cottons (sometimes a finish/glaze on it will change the results) will burn slower, have a soft edge usually grey, and little to no smoke. I personally have a hard time telling rayon blends from cotton, but I can tell you that I've used known 100% rayon fabric in scrap quilts and it has worn well/about the same as the cotton in the top.

Silk and wool will give off that burnt hair smell. If you haven't smelled that in awhile, just grab some from your brush.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:09 AM

I love your quilt, especially the pieces backing! Welcome from Alaska!