Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Throwing away a project >

Throwing away a project

Throwing away a project

Old 09-01-2018, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I put a hand embroidered baby quilt in the Good Will. My neighbor bought it and took it apart, and handed it back to me saying...."Fix this". It's in my UFO piles....again.
What a hoot! Did your neighbor know it was yours? Thanks for the smile over my morning coffee.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:07 AM

I bought a rubber mallet to mash my seams down lol
Old 09-01-2018, 04:21 AM
Administrator

i don't throw things away just because they are not turning out to be something i enjoy looking at.
i learned a long time ago that beauty is, indeed, in the eye of the beholder.
but i am not going to waste my time on something that has gone completely wrong in terms of construction and cannot be fixed, or that is irreparably damaged in some other way.
i am also not going to foist something that might fall apart or cannot be cleaned on somebody and then call it "charity."

trash is trash.
there's a place for it.
and that place is not the donation bin.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
. . . .

trash is trash.
there's a place for it.
and that place is not the donation bin.
I still have a hard time throwing away things I've started that I've gotten stuck on.

However, I have gotten much better at not trying to salvage/rescue someone else's problem/discard.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:52 AM

I have never thrown one away outright (I know I should have). I have a few in the closet-you know, UFO. I have taken a couple to guild meetings and put them on the bring and take table or have made a few potholders or pan separators.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:07 AM

I threw out fabric once that I'd bought when I wasn't feeling 100 percent, a few days later I looked at it and the weave was awful and it was a ten mile trip to return it so I just tossed it. that cost me 30 bucks

Learned not to go shopping after work when I'm exhausted and not feeling well and it's not saving me time if I end up with bad quality.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

A bad UFO is like spilled milk to me.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:43 AM

I'd like to pitch the UFO of my SIL's that I am finishing. She must have been ill when she did this one. Seams don't match. HSTs and 4 patches aren't the same size. I love the pattern - Jacob's Ladder, but not the color or the work it's turning out to be. I had planned to use it as one side of a two sided baby quilt, but the colors aren't going to work. I dislike quitting, so I will probably keep at until my shoulder heals enough so I can quilt a king size quilt that's waiting. I don't throw anything usable away. Someone will want it. I just gave yards of my SIL's fabrics to Salvation Army and my church's quilt group.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:04 AM

I have no trouble tossing something that is not fun. We have dumpsters around here that recycle fabric into rags.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:17 AM
mac

I can't imagine throwing away any project. It just isn't in my cheap nature to do that. I either keep it until I can fix it right or I make it into another project (like a tote bag, pot holder/s, placemats, or cut it into other pieces and use it in a scrap quilt, etc.). Sometimes it just sits in my old project box, gathering dust. When I finally can't stand it anymore, I give it away.

That reminds me of a sewing group I belonged to for about twenty years. There was a lady who used to send her, "I can't stand it anymore" projects anonymously to another sewing person. It took a while to figure out who was doing it, but then she was finally unveiled when she sent her macaroni project that she was making for her child in school to another mother who had a child in the same class as her child. We were in stitches for years remembering that.