Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend - August 30-Sept 3, 2018 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend - August 30-Sept 3, 2018

Virtual Quilting Weekend - August 30-Sept 3, 2018

Old 09-01-2018, 06:32 PM

I got the borders put on the String Me Along quilt. I'm hoping to get it sandwiched and possibly even quilted this weekend. I found some variegated thread at the quilt store. It's a brand I'm not familiar with but the Juki seems okay with it. Will test more tomorrow. I'd like to have it done for the guild meeting on Tues but that probably won't happen. Not enough time and energy. Here's the top so far. Sorry about it laying on the sofa. I couldn't hang it on the design wall as I have a paper pieced project up there and didn't want to take it down
[ATTACH=CONFIG]600373[/ATTACH]

I have some obnoxiously bright backing that I'm having to piece to make it wide enough that I also have to do. Its some of that "What was I thinking?" fabric. lol I think backing this quilt will be a good use for it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	String-Me-Along-2-QB.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	600373  
Old 09-01-2018, 06:49 PM

Lots of great quilts on here!
Old 09-01-2018, 08:32 PM

I couldn't fracture my Tree of Life. I liked it whole. I enjoyed this quilt so much that I made it twice. Two grandsons married a month apart. I used batiks from stash for the blocks and the brushstroke looking fabric from the line for binding. [ATTACH=CONFIG]600374[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Matt's quilt.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	600374  
Old 09-02-2018, 02:21 AM

I love all the projects. Midwife, your quilt will be beautiful. I'm making quilted water bottle holders and little coin purses this weekend. I'm also framing some fall pictures to place around the house in the next few weeks. I bought some greeting cards to frame and I also bought a little craft pumpkin to paint.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:14 AM

All the projects look great. Thought I would get alot done this weekend. Got elderberry jelly and strawberry jam done. Made two apple pies. Cleaning my sewing room. Guess I got something done. Just not sewing.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:17 AM

Wow! What wonderful work everybody is doing!! The quilts are real beauties! All of them!!

I had a slow-going day yesterday and only got the bindings done on 1 quilt... that leaves 8 more to do this weekend! Looking on the bright side, that means I have 3 finished and ready to go to their "forever" homes. (They are baby quilts, so their "forever" will only be until they are outgrown.)
Old 09-02-2018, 05:48 AM

Y’all have put up so many inspiring pieces. I want to try each technique.

Cash’s Mom- those hexies look challenging- great project for learning the technique And using up scraps. I love the way your string quilt turned out- that black patterned fabric that you used for the centers makes me think of the expanding universe.

Irishrose2- I like the way you used the panel and the coordinating fabrics, the surrounding pattern looks like an abstracted version of the tree of life in the center- neat idea. I thought the fractured version was also very interesting- an idea for another day!

Rob
Old 09-02-2018, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Wow, everyone has such beautiful projects going. Grannies G love your shadow trapunto. Christine the soft color palette in your project is so soothing and the project is going to be beautiful when you complete. Are those all Stonehenge fabrics?

I have not been able to quilt (other than a little handwork) for the past 3 weeks. I have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year and I have spent the last 3 weekends making sauce and canning. So far I have 15 quarts canned and the batch of sauce this weekend is in process. 5 quarts in the canner right now (that is all my canner will hold) and easily another 6 or 7 quarts in the pot waiting their turn. I also put up 5 pints of salsa yesterday. I'd rather be quilting! But the tomatoes are ready now and they won't wait and I know I will enjoy them in the coming year. My brother loves my sauce so much he ships a bunch home every time I make some. He pays a ridiculous amount for the shipping from NY to CA but hey, he can afford it. Next week I'll probably have enough tomatoes for another 5 to 6 quart batch.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Cash’s Mom- those hexies look challenging- great project for learning the technique And using up scraps. I love the way your string quilt turned out- that black patterned fabric that you used for the centers makes me think of the expanding universe.
The hexies are pretty challenging, but I find handwork relaxing. A lot of days I'm tired when I come home from work and don't want to work on the machine, but I'll sit down and spend an hour hand sewing so this is a good project for me.

I love stars and the black and while is an oldie but goodie that I've used before but had enough left to do this quilt. I even have some leftover for another project.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:00 AM

I'm in. I'm working on two things. Piecing a top - a curved pickle dish number with about 5 million pieces, and quilting a quilt on the longarm - it's been there awhile as I pondered what to quilt and have been slowly getting each block done. I am about 25-30% done with the pickle dish and usually at this point I want to start a new quilt but stop myself because I want to finish what I started but boy is it hard not to give in to shiny objects all around (look: a double wedding quilt pattern! look: a cute kite paper piece pattern! A stained glass pattern! A monkey wrench! you get the picture). I'm also determined to make some headway on the quilt on my longarm. It has six rows and I'm on the third, so not quite 50% there. Weekend goals: get through the third row on the longarm, that's only three or four more blocks, then I can roll to the next row, and get all of the paper pieces cut out for the pickle dish blocks. Also hang a new shelving unit for more fabric, because that's what I need: more fabric...