Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Learning about grain - the hard way >

Learning about grain - the hard way

Learning about grain - the hard way

Old 09-03-2018, 05:38 AM

Along with all the other advice offered here, Which piece did you have on top when you sewed the outer border on to the narrow second border? I have learned that I have much better luck if I keep the border piece on the top when sewing--in this case, having the wide outer border on the top when attaching to the second border.

I also measure both edges and thru the center and use an average of those 3 measurements for my border.

And finally, I know it is more cumbersome, but I would have added each separate border to the top, not sewn them together first.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Looks like the outer border was too long... maybe because the outer edge of the blue strip stretched, if it was cut on the bias? I'd cut the black border exactly the same length as the white border, and ease it onto the blue piece.

This good sensible advice. We have all been there....done that.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:11 AM

Thanks for all your thoughtful responses. Lots of things for me to reconsider. I took the entire border off and am starting over with it. Fingers crossed that I do better this time.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:19 AM

I think it's more of a measuring and pinning issue. To me it looks like the grey is stretched a bit where the blue is attached, and then the blue was smoothed and stretched a bit when the dark was added,

I use cross grain most of the time and lengthwise grain when I have a fabric pattern that requires it - and do not end up with problems like this. I will measure the border and mark it every 10-15" and also measure the quilt in the same increments and then line up the marks as I sew.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I'll console you on this ... With all the quilts I have made, the only one that I had borders waving back at me was when I cut LOF. I thought I was being so smart, so it would look really nice without seams. It was a challenge, but eventually I got the border laying flat.

And have gone back to doing my borders only with WOF, and joining on the bias .... no problems!!
Me too! If I cut LOF for strips or borders I get waves. I got this tip from a national best in show quilter many years ago when I complimented her many pieced borders. She also said she used straight cut double binding on all her quilts unless curved. If you have been to Paducah quilt show you know the winners are usually sitting by their quilts. I wait until there is no one around them (long wait) but worth it when you can talk one on one with specific but short questions and not a crowd to ask them why and what for. LOL
Old 09-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

I always cut my borders WOF. Measuring the right way through the center of the quilt and borders and pinning is the key.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:07 PM

I feel your pain. I finally got the borders on my string quilt. The first try was not successful. I took it off, re starched it and pinned generously. Finally got it on. I starched the others heavily and pinned a lot. End of the day, they look good.