Boom 21 - Dunes

Old 09-06-2018, 04:20 PM

Im so sorry Terri...prayers that he gets some comfort quickly. Pam sorry about your back. Im not liking this "upper middle aged" very well.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:15 PM

Terri, praying for your BIL.

Pamela, hope your back is feeling better real soon.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:50 PM

Pamela, sorry to hear about your back. You need to post a picture of your dh cutting out blocks! What a great guy.

I know you all were talking about all the oddities of this boom, I think that next boom we need to add a rule that if you are participating you are not allowed to hurt yourself during the boom! Think that will work?

For me, this boom will be the one where three months somehow turned into three weeks! Guess when you take 5 weeks vacation that happens! However, I made myself a schedule to finish and as of tonight I'm actually two blocks ahead! Although, my little secret, I think I enjoy getting to know all of you more than any of the quilt making!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:43 PM
Power Poster

Me too, Jayne!

Terri, I’m sorry to hear Vincent isn’t doing well. I’ll be praying for him and your family. (((((((HUG)))))))). <3<3<3
Old 09-07-2018, 06:01 AM

Default General and boom biz - please read

PamelaOry, ouch! I'm pretty sure stars will work in everyone's quilts. Who doesn't love stars?

Ditto...ouch QM. The stack seems insurmountable to me. At least put mine at the end. I can always stitch it up myself.

Terriamn, I'm sorry to hear about BIL but at least hospice is all about making him comfortable. I hope he finds pain-free rest and peace during these next months. Hugs.

JayneW, I'm all for the new rule. Effective immediately, no injuries or illness will be permitted during any Boom. If I have to run the darned swaps 24/7/52 then so be it if it will keep all of you healthy and injury free. I will be buying stock in a bubble wrap company before purchasing and shipping you each a fairly large roll. Regular usage will be a requirement of the next swap.

So here's the topic I'd hoped I would never have to discuss. What if a person honestly and truly cannot finish on time, regardless of the reason? If you absolutely cannot make all of your blocks, those f8s, whether uncut or cut must be returned to me on time. That means if a swapper has cut up the f8 and not stitched it, the entire f8 should be sent to me, even if it's in 40 pieces. I'm not of the opinion that extending the swap for any one person is acceptable, particularly since this swap is 3 months. Obviously, injuries and illnesses happen. My goal is not penalize anyone as nobody starts a swap like this with the intention of not finishing but neither do I wish to inconvenience 20+ people for one, myself included. Extending a swap beyond my established dates does not work for me. If I allow it once, it will be expected in the future and I'm not going there. Therefore, if anyone in the swap is in the situation of not being able to finish, please contact me sooner, rather than later, to discuss this privately.

Also, in the event that a person does not return any blocks or f8s for whatever reason, I am comfortable returning the blocks made for that person to the maker. This has already been requested by a number of Boomers already in case this comes to pass in this round. I believe it to be the most equitable, and yet still unhappy, solution.

Anyone wishing to share their differing or concurring opinions, please contact me privately. PM or email will work. I don't want hurt feelings on here and this stuff has that potential. Thanks.

Last edited by Janice McC; 09-07-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:33 AM

Janice - I think you covered all the bases very well. Thank you for your words and solutions. I would add one thing - if the pieces are cut out for a specific block, than the pattern should be in with the F8 pieces.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Good idea. I’m hoping it won’t be necessary but this Boom has been choc full of surprises! I hope we all end on a high note with 100 percent completion, fingers crossed!

Remember that from here on out, please feel free to ship your blocks when you are ready. They’re all due on the 22nd, a Saturday. History of shipping in this round says anything can happen so plan for them to take an extra day or two. Hopefully none will go by way of Nova Scotia or Argentina or someplace just as unexpected. Thanks, Boomers.
Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Janice - I think you covered all the bases very well. Thank you for your words and solutions. I would add one thing - if the pieces are cut out for a specific block, than the pattern should be in with the F8 pieces.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:05 PM

I agree with TG, a pattern would be nice. As far as disappearing, if I disappeared, I would probably be deceased. Not that I plan on dying anytime soon, my husband or anyone for that matter wouldn't know to contact anyone from the boom. I do think I have listed my home phone, which we currently still have, but if we didn't, my husband wouldn't check my phone for messages. He has a flip phone and doesn't even text. Maybe we should list a secondary contact number in case of emergency. I would list my dd phone number or one of my sisters which both know and understand my connection to the Quilting Board and Boom swaps.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:13 PM

Terriamn: prayers for you and your family. I sure hope your BIL finds peace and comfort during the next several months.

Pamela: gosh, I certainly can relate to back pain and it's terrible. It is so cool that your husband can cut your blocks for you. That is so sweet!! Prayers for your back to get better very soon.

Jayne: I also enjoy getting to know each of our boom friends. So much fun!!

This Boom and the last one I participated in was nothing short of fantastic!!! When organizing a large group of people, things happen, but we are all flexible and can handle any adjustments and changes. I will remember this boom for the newbies and super cute fabrics and awesome blocks!!! I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!! <3<3 Thanks to our fearless leader for making this all happen!!!
Old 09-07-2018, 04:22 PM

An update on my current wip quilt. I have started joining the 3 columns and quilting them. This won't win any quilting prizes but is the best fmq I've done, got a new fmq non hopping foot. One of these columns is completely quilted I need to finish quilting the second column, add the third column, add the borders and bind.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]600668[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]600669[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]600670[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]600671[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0600.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	600668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0601.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	219.3 KB