Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you sew and quilt? >

Where do you sew and quilt?

Where do you sew and quilt?

Old 02-18-2010, 01:48 PM

I also turned my dining room table into a sewing room. I put up and take down the ironing board every night I get to sew because we live in a raised ranch and there's not a whole lot of space. I like to sew here because that way I am part of the family and no one will ever resent my quilting taking me away from them!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:57 PM

I have a sewing room in my basement. It is nothing special, but it is my room. I love the quiteness, no one to bother me, and most of all, I don't have to put anything away. When my children were growing up, I had to put everything away daily.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:57 PM

I have a corner of our unfinished basement. It isn't pretty but I have lots of room. My husband put together some lighting for me. I have an old t.v. with cable, a fireplace, and the bathroom and laundry room are right by me.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:01 PM

I sew and quilt (when I do) in my sewing room (oldest son's former bedroom). It's my haven, happy place, and retreat. Just turn on some good music, or the TV and lose myself for awhile. Sometimes I work so hard and forget it's meal time, but not very often. LOL
Old 02-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
This will be cool to find our where you sew and quilt at?

Monday night I learned how to paper piece so I brought my sewing machine in the family room on the sewing table in there, had to move hubby's recliner chair, so he sat on my recliner chair. I used 2 tv trays one for my pressing and the other one for my small cutting mat since I was paper piecing. I have a sewing room on the other end of house but no tv, no pc. ha ha

This summer I will be using the sun porch but we don't heat it in the winter time.

Okay who is next?

Karen "Craftybear" Indiana, USA (* Beginner Quilter)
I cut on the dining room table. Piece at my sewing machine which is on a desk in my computer/sewing room. Sandwich using a cardboard cutting board which folds up for storage and can be found at JoAnn Fabrics by either placing it on my dining room table or on the guest room queen sized bed. Pin baste at either location but will roll it up and move to the dining room table to hand baste. As a hand quilter who doesn't use a hoop or frame I have to hand baste every 2 inches top to bottom and side to side. I can easily roll the quilt to get at areas as needed and turn the board as needed. Works the best for me and is a process that has evolved over 46 years of learning how to quilt - yes, still learning.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:19 PM

my bedroom it,s very tight in here but it,s the only place for peace and know one touching and moving my things around
Old 02-18-2010, 03:01 PM

Not only did I move furniture around, I moved entire rooms around. I am single so it is just me and Punkin, my little dog. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment. My real living room is now my sewing room with 4 machines set up and a cutting table, TV and computer. My real front bedroom is now my living room. The extra bedroom that I had used for my sewing room is now my bedroom. Boy do I love the change.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:38 PM

Have turned a bedroom into a sewingroom. Have everything I need including telephone and TV. Messy but I love it.. :)
Old 02-18-2010, 04:08 PM

My DH did over the rec room . He made me a big sewing table. It's big enough to lay out my quilt on. I also have an area to do my stain glass and flower arrangement..I was in the corner of our office with very little room before.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:35 PM

I have turned our large master bedroom into my sewing and craft room since we moved our stuff into a small room. It is in the back part of the house that we don't keep heated much. Hate to pay the high electric bill. Since it has been so cold, I moved my sewing into the living room and use the dining area for my cutting and ironing. I like it better here because I have the tv, and I'm not alone. I really have enjoyed sewing in the LR but its hard to have people over. I find that I like to have some company, even if he is doing his own thing. Does anyone else hate to be alone when they sew and quilt? LOL