Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms. >

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM

Great story. It is wonderful when your children recognize and respect your desires.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
DH and son packed the car and left for a 4 hour drive to take DS to college around 8:30am. After 15 minutes of "mom tears", I was in his room and tearing it apart. By the time DH came home around midnight the room was MINE!! When son came home on week-ends and holidays he slept in the guest room (too small for a sewing room). Son asked once if I felt "empty nest syndrome" (he's my only child). I hugged him and said of course. I hope he believed me LOL.
You are too funny. I recently sent my youngest off into the cruel world and he said he was happy that I finally was using his room for myself. Of course, if the cruel world throws him back, I may have to alter my plans.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 PM

JanRN...I can relate to this...laughed out loud when I read it...
Old 02-18-2010, 02:37 PM

I Took the two upstairs Bedrooms for my quilting.
the Long arm takes up one room and the other is where I cut and Store stuff
so We bought a Camper... It is Called "The Guest House"
The kids live in FL and we live in IN so they only come home for a week or so in the summer. It works Great.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:04 PM

DD doesn't really care - she rarely comes home. DH is the one who refused! Now there's a pull out sofa bed in there should she come home for a visit, and he has yet another tv (w/ games) hooked up in there. That leaves me (still) in the family room. I'm pretty okay with it, wish I had easy access storage. But I have a place to sew and can keep an eye on the stove and/or laundry if I need to.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 PM

I did not take over my son's room until after he had graduated from college and moved out permanently. The hardest part of that was getting him to take everything he 'left' behind. Over the course of the last year, several boxes of his things have just magically 'appeared' in his back room....LOL (I have a key). My girls are still in college and they do not appreciate it when my sewing projects are in their rooms when they come home unexpectedly. I figure, this too shall pass. I will not mess with their rooms until they graduate and move out permanently.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM

I did think of another thing...it was hard for me (as an adult) when my dad remarried (my mother had passed away) and moved off the farm. My brother and his wife were moving into the house we had grown up in. I stopped there on my way home from work one day before they moved in and walked in to discover my sis-in-law steaming my mom's wallpaper off the kitchen walls. I turned around and left in tears. It took me some time to accept that it is their house now. Seriously, maybe it is harder than we realize for our kids to think that life goes on?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:32 PM

My daughter was pretty sure she'd never be back once she moved out, and she didn't seem to have any p[roblem with me taking over her room. I've noticed, though, that when she comes to visit she likes to go sit in the chair in my sewing room and work on whatever she's doing. The room has been repainted, but the wallpaper is the same, and I think it still kind of feels like "hers." I'm OK with it--I miss her at LEAST as much as she misses her room.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:59 PM

When my DD got married and moved to Florida we got a computer/guestroom. When my DS moved to florida I got the best sunniest room in the house to be my quilting room, so we could have the kitchen table back. I always tease that when my DH moves out I'll get rid of the kitchen table and get a long arm machine and frame. The joke about my son moving out is that I only waited 1 hour before I cleared out the rug and any remnants of his stuff and had it painted by the end of the day. Mind you I was crying the whole time because I'm now an empty nester. But both children have benefited from my wonderful room.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Two years ago my sixth child moved out and I made his room into my sewing room. DD has finally finished school and found a job and is moving out this weekend. Monday morning my DH will be tearing down the wall between the two to make a bigger sewing room. It was actually her idea but she does know that if she needs to come home the door is always open.