Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi Everybody! Happy September! >

Hi Everybody! Happy September!

Hi Everybody! Happy September!

Old 09-15-2018, 08:31 AM

Wink Hi Everybody! Happy September!

I live in upstate New York - in the mountains and not far from Lake Ontario. This area is in the "snow belt", so we get lots of snow because of the lake. It's time to start hunkering down and cocoon myself for the coming winter. I used to quilt years ago (before my husband died and I had two strokes 3 years later). I've totally hoed out my sewing room, since my younger son and his girlfriend decided to "help me out" by "reorganizing" it. Goodness!!! What a disaster! Took apart my EZ Quilt frame,unthreaded my sewing machine and serger, etc. etc. Yikes!!
Anyway, I am thrilled to meet you all and start to get back to my love. I want to learn FMQ as that was just starting to get popular when I stopped quilting. I was tinkering with the idea of making a FMQ with the QAYG method. Something that I have never done. What do you think? Should I launch such a project??
Old 09-15-2018, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. There are a bunch of sites that give pointers on FMQing and you can always use your practice squares to do a QAYG quilt. Some FMQ experts have gone into using a ruler foot and rulers to quilt now also. Check out a few like Angela Walters, Leah Day, Lori Kennedy, Judi Marsden(sp)etc.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:06 AM

Welcome aboard! I'm about as far as you can go in a straight line and still stay in the US, Seattle area of Washington. I've never had a desire to go to NYC but I'd love to go to upstate sometime.

I'd say launch any project you want, or at least do some tests on things you already have, wait for the "for real" projects until you've practiced for a bit. I am contending with vision issues and while my best quilts are probably behind me there are lots of techniques and styles for "simple but effective" that I can still do. Recently I made a project and there was a point I knew I should go back and look at the directions again -- but I didn't! Darn it, lost out on the big reason I chose that project but it still looks fine and nobody but me knows I didn't do it right
Old 09-15-2018, 09:13 AM

Welcome from Vermont!
Old 09-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! Quilting is a little like riding a bike... they say once you learn, you can always do it. (Actually, that's not the case with me. I biked like crazy when I was a kid, about 100 years ago, but several years ago, I tested that theory and almost killed myself.)

Right now, I'm waiting for that hurricane (tropical storm) to hit us here in the piedmont. Snow storms sound a whole lot better!! We have those here, too, and we complain about those, too. I expect some flooding and no power for a couple of days. It wouldn't be so bad if I had a working treadle,or a battery operated sewing machine... but I don't.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 09-15-2018, 05:52 PM

Welcome from NE Ohio.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:22 AM

Hello and welcome to the board. I'm so glad you found us!
Old 09-16-2018, 04:33 AM

Welcome from Kansas! I love FMQ. I'm not good at it, but I love it. Practice does make perfect!
Old 09-16-2018, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!