Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Apple Core Quilts >

Apple Core Quilts

Apple Core Quilts

Old 09-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

ha, ha. i have some of those cut out of ten inch squares. one day i will have to sew them together. i sewed the tumbler blocks up but they are still not a complete quilt top. Look up drunkard's path tutes on sewing curves. that should help too.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:11 AM

charley26, You said it all in such few words. Good job.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:19 AM

thimblebug6000....what a beautiful table mat...hope mine will turn out as pretty as yours!
Old 09-14-2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
I bought a "curve master" gadget just for the purpose of making an Apple Core quilt....alas it is still in it's plastic container, maybe someday.
Check YouTube tutorials on the "curve master." I was doing a double wedding ring and pinning was taking forever. Someone on here suggested the curve master. A bit spendy, but wow! It cut down on pinning and got the job done. It does take a wee bit of practice, but the results were good.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:53 PM

Coopah, I guess i need to take it out of the plastic and start one. I have a lot of thimbleberries fabric that I have been saving for a scrappy apple core.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:26 PM

You want to hear something funny? I bought a CurveMaster foot years ago at a show, watched the quilter who invented it demonstrate how to use it over and over and over and over. Went home and watched the videos over and over and over and over. Could not master it, tossed it in a drawer and forgot about it. Fast forward several years, I was sewing some curves and suddenly realized I was (successfully!) using the technique she had demonstrated with my regular, standard, came-with-the-machine quarter-inch foot!
Old 09-15-2018, 12:30 AM
Gay

[QUOTE=Peckish
However, sewing the rows together was a pain with this method, because every other block in a row of blocks is convex, and it's not very practical to sew a block, then pull it off the sewing machine, flip it around, then sew the next block, pull it off the sewing machine, flip it around, and so on. So in frustration, I wadded it up, threw it in a corner, and pouted.

Does Jenny's video address the assembly issue at all? My work computer doesn't have speakers.

Jenny did not say much about joining the strips, but I was wondering if you would be able to sew every alternate piece, then flip over and sew the missed ones. I recently 'almost' finished a hexagon quilt, and found if I only stitched to the 1/4" seam allowance it was simple to join those pieces.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:21 AM

Ladies...I ended up ordering the book/template from Shar Jorgenson as in the provided link above. It should arrive sometime this coming week. Then I went to a quilt shop to drop off my Project Linus Quilts (and shop of course) and low and behold they were selling various templates/rulers from Missouri Star Quilt Co., including the applecore. I had no idea that other quilt shops carried Jenny's templates. Does your shop do this too?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:45 PM

I made three apple core quilts and gave two of them to my daughters. I sewed them by hand during my lunch break and also taught some of my co-workers how to make them. I made them into blocks and sewed the blocks together, thereby reducing all the long rows. I loved making them.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 AM

This is my apple core quilt. Cut with AccuQuilt. Wouldn't even think about it without the cutter. It isn't perfect. Tried stitching them every way recommended and never could decide if one worked better, but the end result was "acceptable" No advice from me though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376 (2).JPG
Views:	321
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	601113