Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you like to make quilts? (in the spirit of psychology rather than actual making) >

Do you like to make quilts? (in the spirit of psychology rather than actual making)

Do you like to make quilts? (in the spirit of psychology rather than actual making)

Old 09-30-2018, 07:48 AM

I can’t sit and do nothing, I have to have something to keep busy and cooking and baking are not good for my hips, yet they are things I’m very good at. While seeking a hobby I came across quilting and as the years have gone by I’ve gotten better at it and have acquired the tools to make it more enjoyable.
I do have times where I’m not motivated and can’t get in the groove, and it’s usually when something is stressing me out. I have been getting better at letting things go, and not allowing things to steal my sunhsine, but it does require effort. I just started to try my hand at yard work, landscaping and gardening and I must say that it does keep me active and is a great way to ensure a good nights sleep. At the end of the day I’m far too exhausted to think of anything but a hot shower and bed. At the end of the day it’s just me and my cats, I have no one that requires my time or emotions and I have long ago weeded out those that are draining, it was the best thing ever. I’m quite content to stay at home and quilt or do yard work, I don’t have cable TV, and if one of my jobs didn’t require my physical presence I would be hard pressed to leave home but a few times a month. We are all unique in what we need and want in life and it evolves as we do, as long as you’re happy that’s all that matters.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:48 AM

When I'm in my sewing room I feel the happiest. Since I retired 3 years ago if a day or two goes by that I haven't done any sewing I feel like I've been deprived. I find myself looking for an excuse to make something for someone and then when I give it to them i feel like it's more for me than it is for them.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:30 AM

Do what you enjoy most. Quilting can be quilts, bags, placemats, table runners etc.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:07 AM

I love creating beautiful things and quilting has come down in my family so I have a early love for beautiful quilts. When I was in the early years of my life I would see a beautiful quilt and ask my DM to make it for me. When I was older she ask me why if I loved making clothing so much I did not try quilting. I did and have loved doing it all these years and hope I can keep on a few more.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:41 AM

I love hand work, I have been embroidering, knitting, tatting or crocheting since I was 5 years old, taught by my great grandma, grandmother, mother and an assortment of aunts. It is a tradition, it's also peace of mind, time to reflect and reminisce or to listen to books while my hands keep busy and yes, I love the end results.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:26 PM

I too, have been quilting for about 40 years....on and off. More on than off....I gravitate back to quiltingso much so, that I now struggle with "regular" clothing patterns!
Old 09-30-2018, 01:39 PM

This is a valuable topic. We all need to stop and take a look at why we enjoy or dislike doing the things we do. I have enjoyed everyone's comments. I quilt to satisfy the creative urge in my life. I sing in a community choir, a church choir and play handbells because music is such a big part of who I am. When I lost my voice, I whistled to let the music out. I read for entertainment, play bridge for mental stimulation and friendships, and finally I train my dog in agility because we are a great team and she is very smart and loves to work. With all these hobbies, I am certainly glad I'm retired. I would hate to give up any of them. I just love to look, caress, compare all the fabrics in my stash. I'm a piecer, don't necessarily finish the quilts, but I surely do love looking at patterns, colors and fabrics. I collect pictures of quilts I would like to make, many of them taken from this very blog. I hope to quilt up to my last days.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

I started quilting when I retired back in 2004. I didn't ever have any intention of doing it, but did watch Alex Anderson every morning before work. I never even told anyone I did that. When I retired, one of my sons said "now that you are retired you can make me a quilt". What??? I said, I don't quilt. And he said, now that you are retired you can learn. I have always sewed and did have (and still do) have the sewing machine I bought for myself in 1964. I really didn't give it another thought til a few weeks later I opened the local paper and saw "beginning quilting class". I took it as a sign! Went to the class and made some good friends and the rest is history. Now I quilt for my own pleasure. I have no deadlines, do what I like, and have given a few away. They will all get donated when I pass. I am not a big producer. I am liking FMQ lately so piecing is a means to get to that part. Not that I am an expert, but, I really like it. Quilting satisfies something in me, so I'll keep doing it til it doesn't.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:01 PM

I did get bored with sewing, whether it was quilting or clothing, even very creative sewing. So, I started to use paint on my sewing projects because it was something new and challenging. Ever since my 1st grade teacher held up my purple orange juicer as a bad example, I knew I wasn't artistic. Well, I showed her -- and myself. Even better, it's something exciting for me to do, and challenging. And therapeutic! And I've won "Best of Show." Maybe a new direction, still using the talents you have but adding to them, would be an answer for you.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

I do quilt making because I love all aspects of it. I sew just about everyday. I like to keep busy and quilting is how I choose to do it. I mainly make donation quilts for kids in the foster care system in my county. No way could I keep all the quilts I make and I am happy to share my talent with others. Quilts will help keep them warm and give them something to call their own.