Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hardwood Floors and Longarm Machines >

Hardwood Floors and Longarm Machines

Hardwood Floors and Longarm Machines

Old 10-01-2018, 12:11 PM

Default Hardwood Floors and Longarm Machines

For those of you who have hardwood floors in your houses and Longarm Machines, how are you protecting your floors from scratches and dents? I have read that the felt type pads flatten after a short time.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:16 PM

What kind of frame are you using, that's giving you dents and scratches???
Old 10-01-2018, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

They do as well as the rubber pads. I would make a coupling of layers from rug pads (the waffle kind) and cut them big enough to come up over the legs and secure with rubber bands. I did this on skirted chairs where the legs where hidden and it kept them from moving around on the hardwood floor.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
What kind of frame are you using, that's giving you dents and scratches???
I don't have my frame and machine set up yet, as my hardwood floors are being installed, but I want to protect my floors from dents and scratches from the weight of the frame and machine. We have spent a small fortune for these floors.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:31 PM

Hmmm okay, well... A good quality frame should not move once it's set up (which is why I asked what you're using). What are you planning to use underneath your furniture? I would use whatever you place under your tables, couches, etc.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:15 PM

I have a Gammill-so heavy frame, on casters with brakes. We recently put in a water proof laminate (basement studio) and I have not had any denting at all. I would assume hardwoods would be the same.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:51 PM

Right you are, Peckish. Not only that, every time you move the frame it needs to be checked to ensure that it is still squared. That becomes a pain very quickly.

In a similar situation, I think i'd put one of the furniture moving pads under each leg, softer side up, plastic side down. Haven't done it though, so cannot swear that it will prevent impressions in the floor.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:53 AM

I have a Q’ni On a Bernina frame in a room with hardwood floors for over 3 years. Due to the limited space I have to move it away from wall when I quilt and I don’t have any scratches or dents from it. I do agree that you have to check it’s lecel, but I just keep a small level in my sewing room and each time I pull it away from the wall I walk the length of the frame with it, no big deal. I think that’s because my sewing room seems to have the only level room in the house.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:58 PM

I just bought a carpet remnant that was narrow (but wide enough for the legs) and put a piece of the padding that is made for hardwood floors under it. You don't want to use a rubber type pad. You could also use a couple of layers of felt under the carpet.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:34 PM

I have hardwood floors and a longarm. The previous posters that said your frame should never move once it's set up are correct. Once you move it, you have to re-level and re-square it. It is very heavy, so it won't move on it's own. My machine alone, without the frame weighs over 80 pounds. I wouldn't want any kind of cushion under the frame, because as it gets compressed, it can make your frame unlevel..I doubt they'd all compress evenly. I have solid wood floors, but if you're asking about something like laminate..it shouldn't be any different. The danger of denting it is almost zero because hardwood won't dent unless it's banged or something is dropped on it. A stationary object won't hurt it. Think of it like a huge piece of furniture..it's just going to sit there.