Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Substitution for machine oil on a Juki tl2010 >

Substitution for machine oil on a Juki tl2010

Substitution for machine oil on a Juki tl2010

Old 09-29-2018, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I had an old sewing machine repair man, many years ago, tell me that gun oil was best for sewing machines since it attracts less dust from the air. Made sense to me and I have used that for many years. Gun oil has to have less impurities since “sticky guns” can be a danger to the person firing it.
Hoppe's gun oil has the best applicator. I found one in a vintage sewing machine cabinet. It is perfect for oiling a domestic sewing machine. The tip is metal and small. I kept going back and forth between the house and building to get it. So, I finally bought another. I found it on Amazon.

bkay

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Oil-Co...hoppes+gun+oil
Old 09-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

I bought a quart of Juki oil and just refill my small bottle with the long spout. I sew a lot and still have a lot left. Sure don't remember how much I paid but I am sure not 25-30 bucks.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Hoppe's gun oil has the best applicator. I found one in a vintage sewing machine cabinet. It is perfect for oiling a domestic sewing machine. The tip is metal and small. I kept going back and forth between the house and building to get it. So, I finally bought another. I found it on Amazon.

bkay

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Oil-Co...hoppes+gun+oil
Thank you I had not seen that nifty applicator.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Any brand works as long as its clear or a very light amber color is OK. Anything darker and the oil is old.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:05 AM

I ended up buying some Lily White in a zoom bottle. I don't like the zoom bottle however as more than one drop comes out. I like to count drops. I sew everyday so I use precisely one drop in each hole daily. I opened the top of the zoom bottle and put the small container that came with my juki inside it and sucked some up. It's very clear. It's working fine.

It's a 4 oz size. I use so little daily that I think this will last me quite a while.

Thanks all... Jenn
Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 PM

My mother had a real hateful relationship with her old Singer. It was a great machine, but she had no patience. It was rarely used until I started sewing in high school. One day, prior to my starting sewing, she thought it needed to be oiled. Not having any sewing machine oil, she used salad oil. Needless to say, it got all gummed up and she had to have it cleaned up. Again, sewing was not her forte, but her mother was a magician. I guess talents do skip generations.