5" Charm Theme: I-Spy!

Old 10-04-2018, 04:45 AM

Macy, you can do either. I have seen one bigger item in the center (fussy cut) and a few smaller items scattered in the square.

I look at I-spy fabrics like this: If I were sitting down with a small child, and I wanted them to "find" something, would they be able to figure out what that something was by looking at the fabric I chose. I have gone so far as to take a 5" square along with me to the fabric store to place on the fabric so I could actually tell what they'd see once I have it sewn in the quilt. It helps, but I'm a visual learner that way.

Does that help?

I've had a question about making the baggies bags of 15 instead of the ten rbwiese typically chose. I think bags of ten will be okay, particularly since we increased the number of bags to be limited up to 15 from our normal 10.

Am I thinking of that correctly, or does everyone think we should change the baggie supply to 15 from 10?
Old 10-04-2018, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
In for 15. Would it be possible to request duplicates? I use them for zippered crayon pouches, and it's nice to have both sides match. If not, that's fine.
I can try to give duplicates. It will really depend on how many people we have participating in the swap. Many will not want dups, so the participating number will be the deciding factor. Remind me when we get that far. You of all people know my memory isn't what it should be! LOL!!!
Old 10-04-2018, 07:24 AM

I would like to participate. This is my first time.
I'll make up 15 with the 10 different fabrics.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

I would like to play - but my fabrics have all been washed with unscented laundry detergent.

As far as doing the previews - you might consider using a 4.5 inch square cutout instead of a 5.0 inch cutout - because 4.5 inches will be the finished size (unless the squares will be cut smaller).

It is definitely worth doing a preview - not all "novelty/conversation/I Spy" type prints work well with that size square. (Ask me how I know!)

For fussy cutting, I cut a 5-inch square of template plastic - to mark the "seam allowance" - I did one of two things - I drew a 1/4 inch line to mark where the stitching line would go - or I taped 1/4 inch masking tape along the edges - so that I could "see" what would be showing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fussy.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	917.9 KB
ID:	602039  
Old 10-04-2018, 09:05 AM

Bearisgray, I like your suggestion; it helps when choosing the perfect I-Spy fabrics. Thanks for sharing.

Red, I am going to have to buy several fabrics for this swap so I do appreciate the "10-per-bag" this time. Besides I broke some bones in my wrist and cutting is more time-consuming this time around . . . just a minor inconvenience that is slowing me down.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:07 AM

blhaines. Welcome! I hope you enjoy your first swap on the board. I don't know about you, but I've become a "tad" addicted to them. Getting things from other people, fabrics that I haven't seen before....Thrills and Chills! If you have ANY questions, please ask. There are no stupid ones. Ask me how I know.

bearisgray is right! I love the idea of looking at the 4.5" view and seeing how the fabric works.

I have several that will work, but plan on shopping in another week or two. Things are just a little nutty for me right now.

We are up to 11 participants already! That's a fabulous start! Whoo hoo!!!
Old 10-04-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I would like to play - but my fabrics have all been washed with unscented laundry detergent.
Are they not supposed to be washed? I participate in the Yahoo I spy group where all fabric has to be washed. Every piece of I Spy fabric I have has been washed and ironed.

bkay
Old 10-04-2018, 04:03 PM

I have no preference if washed or not. I have some that will be, and some that are not. They are all unscented and all ironed well. So.....whatever you happen to have on hand, bear!
Old 10-05-2018, 07:44 AM

Where do we send the package once we are ready
Old 10-05-2018, 11:36 AM

blhaines, I'll send you a pm