Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutting Mat Recommendations >

Rotary Cutting Mat Recommendations

Rotary Cutting Mat Recommendations

Old 10-04-2018, 12:13 PM
mac

I have had my Olfa mats for 30+ years and they are still working well. One of the ways that destroys your mat (other than heat) is not cutting your fabric perpendicular to the mat. In other words, your cutting blade should be used straight up and down and not sideways. A lot of people use their rotary cutters on a angle. When you make a lot of cuts, eventually you will get nicks in the mat and that destroys the mat. When your mat is 'self-healing' it closes up the cut you have just made into the mat. But if you cut on an angle and later cut over that same cut straight up and down, you have just made a divot in your mat. After years of cutting on your mat making divots, your mat will no longer be able to self-heal.

Another thing about keeping your mats in good condition is not to store your mat by a window. The heat coming from the window, or direct sunshine on the mat, will not only warp the mat over time, but also dry the mat out making it brittle.

As I recall, if you go to Olfa's website, they have directions on keeping your mat in good condition.

One more thing, I keep an Olfa mat in my car's trunk at all times. I go to the senior center to sew every week and I think that it is a hassle to take it in and out of my car each week. I keep the mat in good shape by putting a thin piece of plywood (the same size as the mat) above and below the mat. Then I clamp the boards together with those big black binder clips on all four sides. Even in the heat of the trunk my mat doesn't warp and I have had the same cutting board for years doing it this way.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

I don't understand why so many don't want to buy a new mat. 30 years? Why? Just curious.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:26 PM
mac

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't understand why so many don't want to buy a new mat. 30 years? Why? Just curious.
Why buy a new mat when my old ones still look like new? I use my mats a lot, but I take care of them.

This doesn't mean that I haven't bought new mats on sale. But in the grand scheme of things, I have only screwed up one mat and I cut the portion that didn't warp and pasted it onto a piece of plywood on one side and a ironing pad on the other. That mat, since it is only 10" x 8", goes into my sewing machine cart and since it is small, it turns as well as a circular mat, thus saving me the cost of buying one for $50+.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Doesn't make sense to buy something you don't really need just to spend money. I find plenty to buy that I want or need.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
I am in the market for a rotary cutting mat and would appreciate feedback on recommended models. I'll have to purchase it online and can't test it before purchase. Do you use a particular model you're happy with - and what size is it? I want to use the mat to cut applique pieces, not strips.
I recently purchased the Martelli rotating cutting mat/table. It is wonderful!! The mat rotates on ball bearings which make for a very smooth and easy rotation. I went to the Martelli brand after struggling with the Olfa brand for several years. My Olfa never moved around in a smooth motion; it was a very frustrating experience.
ANyway - - now I am very happy with my new Martelli rotating mat. For me - it was worth the extra expense.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:07 PM

Never heard of the Matilda rotating mat!!!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:13 PM

I had never heard of Matilda either. I saw a presentation by Sue Pelland at my quilt guild and she used a Matilda mat there. I didn't really look at the mat so that's why I needed feedback here. On the other hand, I never heard of Martelli until I came on this board!
Old 10-04-2018, 07:19 PM

I can't comment on either Martelli or Matilda. I like my Olfa rotating mat. The Matilda one is on sale on Craftsy for 56.24, but I don't know what shipping is.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:15 AM

Late to the party but for anyone else looking: I bought this one from Amazon and I love it! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love the price too!
Old 10-05-2018, 06:59 AM
mac

I had a square rotary mat when they first came out. I ended up passing it on to another quilter because I would bump the corners and it would move what I was cutting. Drove me nuts.