Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My intro to the Treadle world and my love! (Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch!) >

My intro to the Treadle world and my love! (Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch!)

My intro to the Treadle world and my love! (Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch!)

Old 12-17-2013, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat View Post
I always had trouble poking a hole in that round leather.
My LSMG gave me a good tip - you use a hammer to flatten out the end where you want to put the hole (just a little) and then it doesn't roll away from you when you're trying to make the hole

Sorry! Only just read the bit about the ferrule. Fascinating! Still, this might come in handy for other machines.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:51 PM

Hi I just purchased a wilcox and gibbs as well but ball is missing can you tell me where to purchase one as in Australia. thank you would be very appreciative.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:09 PM

Default W&G antireverse ball

Originally Posted by helendking View Post
Hi I just purchased a wilcox and gibbs as well but ball is missing can you tell me where to purchase one as in Australia. thank you would be very appreciative.
The anti reverse balls were about 3/4 inch in diameter. I have found some small toy superballs that work, They are not the black of the original balls but you really cannot see them anyway. They have worked very well. If you cannot find any in Australia I would be happy to send you a couple if you are willing to pay postage. If you have found a good working machine I am sure you will love using it. They are wonderful.

CW
Old 10-07-2018, 04:06 PM

Default treadle ball

I know it's been a while since your post but I am interested in finding a replacement treadle ball for a singer 1891 treadle and a will cox and Gibbs chainstitch treadle. I you would let me know where you purchased one it would be appreciated. Kathleen

Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 View Post
i am currently on an antique sewing machine kick! three weeks ago i went to an antique mall, for curiosity sake and in search for a vintage doll. I turned the corner and saw this adorable little sewing machine sitting all by itself in a corner. She looked worn and used, but her cabinet was in good condition. I jotted the name down and went on my way. But the machine was stuck in my head. i was in love with it, i did some research, joined a message group (treadleon) got information and went back a week later and bought it. Brought it home and i've been slowly restoring her. It is a Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch machine. She is so adorable and wonderful. she runs like a dream and i am so in love with her! (i'm still missing the treadle belt so i havent actually been able to sew on her yet!)

I nicknamed her "Eleanor"

I've since polished her up, but its a work in progress. I love that she looks like shes seen use and is worn. almost all her decals are missing, and some paint is missing, but all her innards work and she purrs perfectly! I really dont care and in fact am more enamored with her with her worn look that im not interested in repainting her or re-decaling. (maybe one day she will get a pretty sister who will just look nice!) im still working on cleaning her up as i wait for the last remaining parts for her to come in. She was built in 1896, and is a 116 years old! I cant believe that she runs as well as she does! she runs better then my 95 car! Hahaha!

I am simply in love with this machine and cant wait to thread her and see what she can do! I just got a replacement treadle ball for the brake the other day! Yes this treadle is unique in that it actually has a brake to make sure you are treadling in the right direction! its nifty!

Are there any other W&G fans out there? I hope so!! if not let me shower you (a.k.a. it just excites me to ramble on about this beauty) with the information i've gathered!
Old 10-07-2018, 04:10 PM

Do you have any of the 3/4 inch balls still for sale? I have a Singer and a Willcox and Gibbs that need them. Kathleen
Old 10-07-2018, 04:57 PM

CW - Glad you caught this bumped thread I should have picked up on the ferrule post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-07-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:50 AM

I would be glad to send you a couple. I just ask to be reimbursed for the shipping. Send me your address on a private message. CW
Old 10-23-2018, 07:06 PM

I have a Willcox and Gibbs were did you order your belt. And I need a ball for lower part so the sewing machine will not go back. If you can tell me were you ordered your parts I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:08 AM
pgf

Originally Posted by cwillis View Post
Actually Willcox and Gibbs did not connect the treadle belt with a staple like most other machines. They used a little ferrule which screwded on to both ends of the treadle belt to connect it together. Unfortunately they were often lost when the old belt rotted away. By good luck a couple of years ago I purchased an old W&G machine that still had a ferrule attaching the two parts of a very rotten belt that was in pieces but had not been thrown away yet. The original ferrule is in the center while the homemade one is on the end. They are 3/16 inch in diameter and 3/8 inch long. I thought it might be helpful if I explain how I made my DIY ferrule.
Attachment 369036
1. I started with a 1/2 inch brass Chicago Screw (aluminum also works). Cost about $1.00.
Old thread, but wanted to thank @cwillis for this excellent post! I just made 5 or 6 ferrules for myself. I used 1/2" binding post extensions, rather than the posts themselves, since that let me grab the "male" end in a drill chuck, so I could spin the post while cutting it with a hacksaw or triangular file. This thread isn't really about ferrules, so I won't go on at length here. I've put a longer writeup on my blog, if you're interested: https://projects.foxharp.net/sewing_...-belt-ferrules

paul
Old 04-09-2021, 09:53 AM

Thank you, Paul.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.