What are you reading?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:30 AM

I love to listen to a favorite book when I wake up very early and can't get back to sleep. Right now I'm going through the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon for the umpteenth time. I know it so well that If I doze off again and miss a part, it's no big deal.
I'm reading the Passage series now too....
Old 10-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Leon, how far did you get in the Sue Grafton series? I read all of them up to either T or U, but can't remember much about them except that Kinsey was 33 and her landlord Henry was in his late 80's. As I recall, I liked the idea of the series when it first started, but the later books didn't hold my attention as well as the earlier ones.

I've just started reading an Inspector Banks mystery by PD James (I think that's the author). I'm not sure I'll continue it. I used to enjoy a good mystery or science fiction, but for some reason, I'm having a hard time sticking with them (or any fiction) these days. I'm much more likely to read a "how to" book from start to finish than I am to finish a fiction book. Don't know why that is.

Rob
Old 10-09-2018, 11:09 AM

I'm on an anything by James Patterson kick.... I love the suspense thrillers
Old 10-09-2018, 01:54 PM

Varina (Jefferson Davis’ wife)
The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayer
All books written by Jeanette Walls were good
Old 10-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I love this topic!!!
Tranum, I loved Jeanette Walls books!
I just finished Jodi Picoult's latest book- A Spark of Light
I've been on a political kick- I read James Comey's book and now I'm reading Fear by Bob Woodward.
I need something light! lol
Old 10-09-2018, 02:23 PM

Rob, I love the DCI Banks books. They're by Peter Robinson. PD James did the Adam Dagliesh books which I also loved. I started watching the DCI Banks shows on TV and liked them so much I started reading the books.

I like Sue Grafton's books and have been reading them for years. With exception of one where she changed up the viewpoint, I've liked all of her books. I do admit the the earlier ones were better than the later ones though.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:12 PM

A prayer for Owen Meany- John Irving
ditto: All the light we cannot see- Doerr
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society --just started....yes I know it's on netflix....gotta read before watch...always
Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Rob, I love the DCI Banks books. They're by Peter Robinson. PD James did the Adam Dagliesh books which I also loved. I started watching the DCI Banks shows on TV and liked them so much I started reading the books.

I like Sue Grafton's books and have been reading them for years. With exception of one where she changed up the viewpoint, I've liked all of her books. I do admit the the earlier ones were better than the later ones though.
right! Don’t know why I get those two mixed up. I read all the Dagleish books by PD James years ago. Now I know why I was so confused when I started watching Inspector banks on tv and he didn’t look at all like what I remembered seeing a few years ago on tv (that must have been a (Masterpiece?) Mystery series taken from PD James’ Dagleish... I spent a good half an hour doing a google search trying to find the earlier Inspector banks series that had a dark haired actor and of course came up empty.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:15 AM

Bringing Columbia Home, by Michael Leinback. I've always been fascinated by this terrible accident due to something that happened to me a few days before it happened.

For many years I've felt that God sends me signs, however, I'm not that bright that I can translate them until the whole thing is revealed and I can say...Oh yeah. Sort of like Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt patterns. I should have been able to figure it out, but didn't.

I was an Amish driver back then. I picked people up to take them to work and back. On this morning I could see some jet contrails through the trees. As I progressed I could see that the full moon was just about to set in the West. Over the face of the moon were two contrails making a perfect X. Like "no parking" or "no smoking". I could not have been more perfect. I thought ok....No what??

I guess I did not realize that we had a shuttle up there at the time, and the announcement that some foam had fallen off the booster rocket and hit the shuttle had bypassed me. No one else saw that, as my rider did not emerge from her house until this had disappeared. I had no camera, no way to document it. It was before 8 in the a.m. because I had to have this lady at her job at 8.

I had no idea what the message was or who it was for. The shuttle came down on Feb 1, 2003 and was launched on January 16, 2003. I'll have to look on a calendar from that era and see when the Saturdays were, because my X over the moon was a Saturday.

I never tried to tell anyone in authority about this. I think that only the quilt board would believe me. We are still trying to escape the bonds on gravity so I don't think we have given up space travel completely.

You wanted to know what I was reading. That book is not as detailed as I had hoped.

Marcia

Last edited by Battle Axe; 10-10-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:42 AM

It was January 18, 2003 when the moon was full.