Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inexpensive sewing machine ideas >

Inexpensive sewing machine ideas

Inexpensive sewing machine ideas

Old 10-10-2018, 02:18 AM

If you have a local sewing machine dealer, stop in. I just purchased a baby lock Anna, for $200. It is a non computerized, basic machine. Then if you have issues you can take the machine to them for tweaking. Lightweight and I love it.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:27 AM

Depends on how much you think you want to invest and how much you think the machine will be used. Like pusk74, I'd take a look at a local sewing machine dealership for a trade-in. It should have been examined by the dealer for any problems and ready to go. I would hope the dealer would give some kind of warranty with it. That warranty might not be as long as a company warranty but, depending on the dealer, it may be a good deal, too. The machine I'm using was a trade-in that was barely used when the previous owner decided she wanted a machine that would do embroidery so traded it. I got a good deal with that one!
Old 10-10-2018, 03:40 AM

Hi mmac71,
I have a daughter and 3 grandkids living in North Pole, Alaska, too. Small world, huh!

Originally Posted by mmac71 View Post
I was going to spend time with great grands and they lived in North Pole, Alaska. I ordered a Brother for under 200. on line from walmart and had it shipped to their home. Amazon would do the same!!!! Have fun.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Eversewn is the best choice. I love my Sparrow 30. Almost all members of my guild now have an Eversewn for classes and retreats.
Love my Sparrow 30!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:27 AM

I'll chime in on TeresaA's post about the new Singer Featherweight C240. I waited and waited until the price dropped (to $399, interestingly it's even cheaper now) and bought it from Amazon. It just so happened that my "main" machine had problems at the same time, so I used the C240 exclusively for about two months this summer. It did everything and anything I wanted it to do, no problems at all. I made tote bags, duffel bags, table runners, even doll clothes on that little thing, and some quilting too. I love the built-in walking foot, it really does work as advertised.

One caveat, it does not use standard low-shank presser feet, you need to buy the feet specifically for this machine. Some of the feet Singer offers can be used with the IEF and with some others you need to disengage it (which is very simple to do). Also, they may call it a featherweight but to me it's just as heavy as some other machines!

I also have the Brother PC 420 which is my "main" machine as mentioned above. I paid a little more for that one (from Overstock.com) and it sews like a dream. I feel that you can't go wrong with either of these machines.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:48 AM

Any Brother machine from Walmart or Amazon, I've purchased 3 over the past few years, one for me and then one for each of my granddaughters. They've been going strong for at least 5-6 years. They are easy to learn and optional feet can be found on Amazon or Sewing Machines Plus, sewingmachinesplus.com they also sell the machines. The important thing is to take the needle plate off and clean the machine, lint builds up fast in them and they don't work well when that happens.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Walmart carries a low end model of the Brother machines and they are good machines. My low end machine is a Brother and it is still working fine fifteen years later. For around a $100 is it the best you will find. Enjoy that new baby.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
You can't beat the old, all-metal Singers. They are simple, stitch beautifully, and are usually pretty cheap to pick up. I found two Singer 301s in nice cabinets (and a bench seat!) at estate sales. $50 for one, and the second one I didn't need but couldn't leave it for $25. I keep a featherweight at my daughter's house, but those are more pricey.
I 100% echo Sewbiz. Check your local Craig's list, want ad digest and thrift stores (like Salvation Army store), heck even some antique shops have vintage all metal machines in good working order for less than $100. The only thing is consider other makes besides Singer. There are many good vintage brands out there.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 10-10-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:51 PM

Lots of choices from comments here. From my personal experience the Brother machines from Walmart in the $200 plus or minus range are very good, I had the CS 60001 that someone mentioned, get machine, a granddaughter has it now.
My ohter favorites are the Necchi travel Mate, which is the exact same as the Janome Gem Gold & is made by Janome. I keep the Gem Gold at a daughter's house & have the Necchi here for travel & class. Either of those machines are great for a beginner like your daughter -in-law, sturdy, strong, very easy to thread & handle, beautiful stitch quality. Another granddaughter who wanted to sew at age 9 couldn't do well with the Brother totally because she has a lead foot & is a pedal to medal sewer, but the Necchi was perfect for her, it could handle her roughness. Because the Necchi couldn't defeat her she loves to sew 5 years later & fortunately has refined her handling of machines.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyB View Post
The Brother Sewing and Quilting machine at WalMart for $199 is a nice machine. It comes with the 1/4" foot, walking foot, extension table, needle threader, and several decorative stitches. I teach beginning quilting and over the years have recommended it to my students who need a machine. So far about 20 have purchased them and all are pleased with it.
I have this machine and really like it, it came with a walking foot and FM foot as well as the standard ones, it was under 150.00 when I bought it (about 6 months ago) and shipping was free. For me it's showing as 100.99 now (not sure if pricing is regional) but a really good deal for all you get with it.

Brother Quilting Machine