Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping your ruler steady >

Keeping your ruler steady

Keeping your ruler steady

Old 10-13-2018, 06:59 AM

For long strips I use 'Quilt Sticks'. No slippage. They come in a variety of widths. I don't cut binding without them.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:23 AM

I purchased the Quilter's Slidelock rulers several years ago now, the 14" and 24" and I use them on almost every quilt project. Absolutely was the remedy for me, with issues of rulers moving.

The biggest reason I initially purchased the ruler was the safety of keeping the anchoring hand (hand holding the ruler) well away from the rotary cutting hand. I cringe every time someone here posts an emergency room story on the board.

I chose the lighted option for both rulers. I'll provide a link to their site, the site has many instructional video's and tips. I can't imagine cutting long pieces, consistently, accurately and safely without this ruler. Well worth the investment just in the overall savings of losing fabric to ruler slippage, not to mention a trip to the emergency room should a rotary cutter slip. I surmise that the rulers paid for themselves in those reasons alone.

https://www.quiltersslidelock.com/
Old 10-22-2018, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by cenpaqltr View Post
I have been using Quilters' Select rulers and they are wonderful. The first one that was purchased was the 6 X 24 - great ruler. The long ones do not kick out when you are cutting to the opposite end of the folded fabric. They are wonderful - I plan to add a couple other sizes to my ruler collection. Hope you can find one and give a try.
After buying other brand name rulers, I'm also a big fan of Quilters' Select rulers. Yes, they are wonderful, don't slip plus the numbers on the ruler on made in such a way to simplify your work. (I'm not explaining this very well but you'd have to see the ruler to see what I mean). Now I don't use the other brand name rulers and have gradually acquired more Quilters' Select rulers.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 AM

I have non-slip rulers, but I still find putting a weight on the larger rulers helpful. The rulers still have to be held down, and it's just as fast for me to put a weight on one end as it is to move my hand (not sure that makes sense as written, but what I mean is: if I'm cutting with my 6x24, I have my hand on one end and a weight on the other instead of repositioning my hand mid-cut).
Old 10-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the 5 lb. weight idea. I wonder if there is a way to gussie it up so that it looks pretty as a gift to another quilter?

~ C