Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a crayon quilt >

Washing a crayon quilt

Washing a crayon quilt

Old 10-15-2018, 12:45 PM

Default Washing a crayon quilt

How do you wash a quilt that was done using Crayons?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:57 PM

I think it depends on what sort of crayons you used and how you treated it. We have a nice article here on the how tos:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/resources/article-84.html

It was easier to find searches on how to remove crayon from fabric than how to keep it on! Hopefully someone here will have experience.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:45 PM

I have only used crayons on hand embroidery pieces not intended to need washing or at least infrequently and very gently. I follow the directions from Crabapple Hill patterns and they say try not to. As they say, if you were trying to remove crayon marks they probably wouldn't come out
Old 10-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

All I did was set the crayoning with a hot iron, with a paper towel between
to absorb any excess crayon/colour.

I tried the technique on a mug rug ... and just toss it into the wash, without any thought.
The colours have "stuck" well .... though the mug rug is looking quite sad, with all the use!
It served it's purpose before I tried something bigger and more serious!

Probably I'll combine it with hand embroidery when I make that "real" project!
Old 10-16-2018, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

Having made many crayon quilts over the years 3 a year with a preschool I volunteered at for 12 years we have had good luck. After the blocks were colored we set the color much the way you did. The quilts are not laundered like bed sheets (regularly) they are laundered once or twice a year. Cool water, gently, with a mild detergent. They have held up well. A few of the oldest ones (20+ years) have over time faded- when they fade the owners have pulled out the crayons, re- colored and reset.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:48 AM

Thanks for this information, since I am about to colour a baby panel. It is going to be a charity quilt but I would still be upset if it did not hold up to laundering. Love this site and the generous sharing of knowledge among its members.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:11 AM

this thread must have really stuck in my brain, I dreamed about making crayon blocks last night
Old 10-17-2018, 07:03 PM

I only used crayola crayons to color on 100% white cotton, and washed the cotton before applying the coloring, to remove the sizing from the fabric, then pressed with a steam machine/iron before using the crayons. I purchased a round box of crayons with 92 colors and a sharpener which came as part of the crayon box. Once I applied the crayon colors, I heat set the quilt pieces using a hot iron and papertowel on top of the colored cotton to pick up any excess crayons - then I like to add some outline detail and I used Derwent Pencil crayons for this purpose and also heat set them once I finished utilizing the same method.

No one I have given these quilts to have told me they faded, or lost some of their color. I had my granddaughter's class each color an owl picture for each of their two teachers some years ago, and they said they are just as the day they received them.[ATTACH=CONFIG]602702[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Quilt for Mrs. Vranesic - Kailas teacher grade 5 2013_2014.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	602702  
Old 10-17-2018, 08:59 PM

Personally I wouldn't give someone a baby quilt made using crayons, think about how many times you wash a baby quilt. Most people don't want something they have to worry about the care of. Geez there is or perhaps was a lovely lady that taught the technique of making crayon quilts using different types of items under the block for texture. I know her name was something like Billie Jean Ray and she was on Simply Quilts 20 something years ago.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:15 PM

I would wash a crayon quilt in cold water and let air dry.