Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polar fleece blanket >

Polar fleece blanket

Polar fleece blanket

Old 10-21-2018, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I make the fleece blankets using two pieces of fleece. Put the pieces together on a flat surface or floor. Cut a six inch square out of each corner on each. Cut strips along each edge four or more inches long. Tie each two pieces together in a double knot. Done. No need to secure the two pieces. I have some made this way that are over 10 years old and still together. This use to be a fad, the tied fleece throws. Kids and teens love them. https://www.instructables.com/id/How...leece-Blanket/
Old 10-21-2018, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

i used to make them with about five inch fringe cut on all sides. lay together and tie them to each other in knots. (as mentioned above)
Old 10-21-2018, 07:06 AM

I've not made one of these, but received one many years ago as a gift. It was fringed on the edge and tied. It's been washed many times (I hated the colors, so it became a dog blanket.). The fringe comes untied. So, every time you wash it, you have to retie some of it. Being two layers was not a problem. It does not slip around.

I would definitely not tie it if I made one.

bkay
Old 10-21-2018, 07:26 AM

If your are talking about making one big piece out of two smaller pieces of fleece, you can butt the pieces together and zigzag across the blanket. I did this once to make a blanket for my bed and didn't care that there was a line of stitching across the middle as I knew it won't be seen. My blanket has held up for well over 10 years now.
If you are concerned about the look of the seam you could add some appliques on the seam.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I never had ties come undone on fleece blankets but a king size quilt i tied with embroidery thread did come unknotted. I had to re-do that one with yarn.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=Still Sew N;8146867]I make a lot of fleece blankets and I don't take the time to "quilt" or stitch them at all to hold them together.

I use the entire width of the fabric and decide on the length. They are stitched right sides together the length of the blanket. Then I turn it inside out and stitch approx. 3/4" away from the stitching line. Then I mark the open ends approx. 4" up and stitch across. Using a rotary cutter, I make 1" fringe. I have not ever stitched them together except on the long sides. They hold up amazingly well with no slippage. My kids each have several, my grandson has several. I keep them in our RV, we have several in our living room. They make great gifts. I've even made them for our dogs. Since these fleece blankets get a lot of wear and tear and washing and drying, they really hold up and are very warm. Hope this helped.
We did it this way in a class. Teacher said she has one ten years old and no problems. She did suggest putting a stitch (using floss) into each tie. Some students did the stitch?knot and some didn't. She said it was personal taste and not really necessary.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

The fringe comes untied
It wasn't tied correctly. I used a double knot tied very tightly. None have come untied.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I've not made one of these, but received one many years ago as a gift. It was fringed on the edge and tied. It's been washed many times (I hated the colors, so it became a dog blanket.). The fringe comes untied. So, every time you wash it, you have to retie some of it. Being two layers was not a problem. It does not slip around.

I would definitely not tie it if I made one.

bkay
I meant that the fringe was tied/knotted. I've re-tied it as tightly as possible. Mine still comes undone.

Maybe it's the brand of fleece.

bkay
Old 10-21-2018, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

did you tie a surgeon's knot? of course i did that with the embroidery thread that later come undone. anyway, first knot left over right, the second and final knot, right over left. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:12 PM

Thank you, yep that is what I have at the moment, but thought I had to 'do some sewing' in the middle to hold them
Di