Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polar fleece blanket >

Polar fleece blanket

Polar fleece blanket

Old 10-22-2018, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

I made this quilt of cotton on front and fleece on back. I did fmq in big meandering to hold them together. It worked up fast and it looked good. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04000.JPG
Views:	460
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	602910   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03997.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	602911  
Old 10-22-2018, 10:41 AM

I made a fleece blanket, wrong sides together by just machine stitching the blanket stitch around the outside. No problem of it shifting. It has lasted several years.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I prefer sewing 2 pieces of fleece together like a pillowcase. I actually Use a dinner plate to mark the corners as a curve. In other words, sew all 4 corners with opening at center of one side. Trim corners, turn right side out and stitch shut by hand. The finished product will fold up so much nicer. Just my opinion.
This is exactly what I have done. No need to quilt because the two layers of fleece stick together. Made a large one for my grandson several years ago. It has been washed repeatedly and he won't give it up although it is now pilly and not so soft. Keep trying to replace it with a real quilt but he keeps saying it's his special blanket. Hope that one day soon he will see the light.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Still Sew N View Post
I make a lot of fleece blankets and I don't take the time to "quilt" or stitch them at all to hold them together.

I use the entire width of the fabric and decide on the length. They are stitched right sides together the length of the blanket. Then I turn it inside out and stitch approx. 3/4" away from the stitching line. Then I mark the open ends approx. 4" up and stitch across. Using a rotary cutter, I make 1" fringe. I have not ever stitched them together except on the long sides. They hold up amazingly well with no slippage. My kids each have several, my grandson has several. I keep them in our RV, we have several in our living room. They make great gifts. I've even made them for our dogs. Since these fleece blankets get a lot of wear and tear and washing and drying, they really hold up and are very warm. Hope this helped.
I do the same, sew the sides and fringe the ends. do not have a problem with the layers shifting
Old 10-22-2018, 04:44 PM

Thank you everyone, yesterday i started blanket stitching the edges together, it looks ok, i will post a picture when finished, i was just so worried that the middle would shift and come apart.

Thank you for your great ideas.

Idle Di
Old 10-22-2018, 05:43 PM

I have made a few two layer quilts with fleece under pieced cotton, and I like the way they drape. They're lighter weight than a regular quilt but pretty warm for snuggling on the couch. I think any style of quilting or tying would work well. In reading this thread I began to think about possibly just quilting together a couple of pieces of fleece some time. I had not considered doing that before, but it would be an interesting candidate for a whole cloth project. Machine stitching shows up well on the fleece. Anyway, I'm just "thinking out loud".

I'm pretty sure that the piles and piles of fleece throw kits that turn up in Jo-ann's every fall are meant to be fringed and tied together on the edges only. There are youtube videos demonstrating this technique. It seems to be a popular concept because they have sold the kits for a number of years and always stock them again. I don't think there's a big problem about the fleece layers slipping against each other because someone gave us a commercially made fleece throw one time that was 2 layers with a machine blanket stitch around it. It was quite some time before I even realized it was two layers. Actually, I think it wasn't until after the kitty pulled out some of those stitches. I would say you'd be just fine with the project as you'd originally planned it. If the possibility of the layers slipping worries you, you could put a big X or + from corner to corner and/or side to side using a running stitch, maybe in a contrasting hand embroidery thread so it's a feature. Any way you do it, the grandkids will know you were thinking of them.