Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm Rental >

Longarm Rental

Longarm Rental

Old 10-27-2018, 07:00 PM

Default Longarm Rental

So, has anyone here considered renting out their longarm machines? I find that I am not using mine as
often as I used to (have moved on to garment sewing once again for the time being) and thought perhaps
offering it as a rental would be one idea as opposed to selling it.
If you did rent yours, what would you think to be a fair price?? Hourly.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:26 AM

The rate will vary from region to region. Around here I’ve seen rentals for around $20/hour, with a one-hour minimum. The ones I’ve seen require completing a longarm class at the shop, for which there is a substantial charge.

I would search around the web to find places that rent longarms and see what they charge and what the rules are. Others’ policies will give you a good idea of what sorts of issues might come up. Just as an example, I found this one (https://www.sewfabricated.com/module...classId=233980) (no affiliation), and it details which supplies they’ll provide and which the renter needs to provide. It also has a “mentor” charge if someone still needs help after the first rental.

Another thing to consider: how much could someone mess up the longarm if they don’t know what they’re doing? I don’t know much about longarms and can’t answer this question, but if someone could potentially do something to the machine that would cost a lot to fix, then it might not be worthwhile.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

I have for the past 15 years. I offer a ( Certification Class) which is 4 hours and costs $50. I teach them how to thread the machine, wind bobbins, change needle, check tension, oil/ maintain, load a quilt
then we quilt a practice quilt ( ( generally {2} 2 yard pieces of muslin , batting and dark, contrasting thread ))
sometimes it takes a person the whole 4 hours or more to be comfortable, sometimes a person takes to it quickly and wants to quilt something ( small) they brought with them after the practice quilt.
after they have taken that class they can rent time to quilt their own for $20 an hour. I’m always there to help load, trouble shoot if any problems- but I don’t stand around watching them, I let them quilt on their own.
i have friends who after taking the class & doing a couple of their own have decided they would rather pay me to quilt for them. It’s more work then they thought it would be. They appreciate me more.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:56 AM

I have been renting for more than 4 years...I pay $20/hr plus a thread price which is calculated by the number of bobbins I use. Just like ckcowl said...I had a training lesson in the beginning. In the years I’ve been renting, I have changed shops/machines. I started out on an APQS Lenni and then the LQS closed so I drive even further (almost an hour) to another quilt shop and rent a Handi Quillter Avante. Someday I would love to have a longarm of my own.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:38 AM

one shop here requires you to take a class first which is 1 hour, they want to make sure you know how to handle their machine and then its 20 an hour here in Hampton Roads VA
Old 10-28-2018, 05:55 AM

I'm curious what shop you're referring to? I'm interested in renting time and wonder what machines they have? Used to live in Virginia Beach but now live a few hours north but am down there regularly

Thanks in advance!

Christine

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
one shop here requires you to take a class first which is 1 hour, they want to make sure you know how to handle their machine and then its 20 an hour here in Hampton Roads VA
Old 10-28-2018, 06:42 AM

ckcowl, do you have your long arm insured and did it cost extra for using it as a rental?
Old 10-28-2018, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by lyric girl View Post
You may want to talk to your insurance company before pursuing that.
I agree with this. There was a woman in my area who used to rent her longarm out, but she had to stop because of some insurance issue. Check with your agent to find out what your policy covers and any other potential issues, such as someone sewing through their finger, for instance. This HAS happened to about 20% of longarm quilters I know!
Old 10-28-2018, 11:54 AM

On insurance issues the machine isn't the only problem. There are liability issues to consider also. People coming into your home have to go through your home to wherever the longarm is. If they trip on some stairs or whatever you will need insurance to cover that. Hopefully unlikely to happen but you never know.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:47 AM

I would rent mine , at $20.00 dollars a hour . But it would have to be a small quilt . I would not want to
tie my machine up and they would have to come back the next day ..