Needle position.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:17 AM

Thank for your reply. I like this forum and it will take me a while to get the hang of using it. As far as a left homing feature I find that I can’t use some attachments I’m used too.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

I don't think a machine that is built as a left-homing machine can be "fixed" to work like machines that have a center homing position.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:43 AM

The red mark in center of the presser foot makes me wonder if it's for a center set model? The red mark is where the needle goes during straight stitching? You might need a box of accessories particular for this model.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:19 PM

I had a 50's Nelco which was also a left homing machine. I notice this if I am considering a vintage machine and avoid them because I do a lot of piecing.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Actually the foot I put on it is from another machine. I was worried about the foot that was in it when my friend gave me the machine, it seems so narrow, and I worried about the needle hitting it. I just got a lot of lint and dirt out of it and will buy some oil for it. Have 3/1 oil I may use though. If this is a left homing machine I may get rid of it. I can’t attach my walking foot to it for one thing.
Another issue I have is the foot petal. It is very temperamental with the speed. I found that free motion quilting is difficult. Very touchy. Maybe I could figure out a way to change the petal.
I want to get the manual. Is there a place I can order it that will just let me download it and Print it?
Thanks again for your input.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:07 PM

Opps. Pedal I ment. Never know I have a college education. Lol
Old 11-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Banned

Never use 3in1, WD40 or other household oils on a sewing machine. Good sewing machine oil is inexpensive, even Walmart carries Singer oil.
The foot controller is super easy to change. A lot of people like the electronic controllers like the one shown here -
https://shop.sew-classic.com/Foot-Co...p-SCE168FC.htm

It's easy to disconnect the two wires inside the old controller and simply reconnect them to the new controller. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which side.

Does your walking foot have a wide needle slot? If it does I don't see why you couldn't use it on this machine. The feed dogs are in the same place and are shaped the same as any other machine. If any foot has a wide slot for use in a zig zag machine it can be used with a left needle machine. The straight stitch foot is the only one that's machine specific that I know of.

Cari
Old 11-10-2018, 03:33 PM

Thanks Cari for your quick reply. I really like this machine after I learned how to thread it right and got rid of the tension problems. It’s nice and heavy. I’ll try the walking foot again - the prong on the right side of the foot hit the knob that holds the needle in and knocked the needle out. My fault I think.
Ill take your advice about the oil. I live in Lake Tahoe CA in the High Sierra mountains and even Walmart is a long drive over the mountain. However, I order many things on line.
I just finished a quilt with about 500 small pieces on this machine. It was tough but if I can use other feet, that may help. My other machines need work and I have to use this. It would be nice to have a new machine that threads, cuts needle down, speed, etc. but not in the budget right now!
I see cams on eBay for this machine cheap. There is a hinged opening on top. Might be fun to try them.
Thanks again for all your help. Phyllis
Old 11-10-2018, 07:54 PM

I think that’s a handsome machine! Amazon carries inexpensive electronic pedals that I have used on a few of my machines, here’s a link;
https://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Machin...+machine+pedal
I just cut the power cord and plug off and wire it in place of the old pedal.
Good luck!
Old 11-11-2018, 08:57 AM

You probably have a left homing machine, great for sewing clothing with a 5/8" seam, not so great for 1/4" seams.