Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Basting >

Spray Basting

Spray Basting

Old 11-15-2018, 09:30 AM

Default Spray Basting

Please share all your knowledge of spray basting a quilt. I have done some safety pin basting as well as basting with the basting gun in the past. I like the basting gun, but find that I spend as much time getting the little plastic pins unstuck from the gun as I do basting. When you are on the floor, that gets old quick.

The instructions on the basting spray is scary. It is winter here so outside use is not an option. Should I place a sheet over hardwood floor, before spraying? Do you have a favorite brand? I am afraid Walmart was my only selection today, but if this works out I can try other brands.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 AM

I open a window (even in the winter) and would definitely cover a hardwood floor.
I prefer 505 basting spray because some of the others really gummed up my needle.
Remember that you just need a light spray and I have found it really helps to iron both sides and then let it sit over night before I start quilting.
I stick a few pins in just to help hold it while I'm pushing it around quilting.
Once you get a system to your work it goes well but it seemed like such a big thing the first couple of times I tried it (once outside on the snow covered deck- bad idea).
-good luck
Old 11-15-2018, 11:52 AM

You may want to check this thread for a home made one.

Homemade Quilt Basting Spray - where did I go wrong?????

I plan to try the recipe in the near future.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:33 PM

It takes awhile to get used to the right amount of spray, I think most people start out with way too much. I try and be about 12" above the fabric, or basically one forearm high and spray lightly. You do want to be ready to quilt within a couple of days of putting it together, it doesn't last forever. You can adjust the fabric as you put it down, simply lift and move if needed.

I used cheap flannel covered vinyl tablecloths to protect my floors/table/bed (whatever I laid out the quilt on), give yourself plenty of room for overspray. Buy them from the dollar store. We have several reptiles (as well as dogs and cats) and I always opened doors/windows when I sprayed.

When I started and used too much spray, it took about 2 weeks for it to mostly dissolve. Yes, it gummed up my needle and stuck threads to the outside even after washing. Now I'm pretty good after about 3 days. I had to put in some time between getting done and giving the quilts because of this, especially for baby quilts.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

I haven't used that particular spray. Of the ones I have tried, I prefer 505.

Definitely protect your floor with a sheet. You can toss the sheet in the laundry. Can't do that with a floor!

It's a good idea to let your quilt sandwich dry for 24 hours before sewing. Although I don't have to do that with 505, some sprays do need that drying time in order not to gum up your needle.

Here is a good tutorial on the process. It helps to mark centers on all sides before layering (folds make a good mark, as do pins) so each layer is lined up with the preceding layer. Also it is important to fold back layers and spray only a section at a time. Here is the link with good photos:
http://thecraftyquilter.com/2012/03/...te-your-quilt/

Edit: I see she doesn't protect her hardwood floor. That's because she knows to always spray from the side towards the center. If you use a sheet as a protector, I would tape the corners to the floor to prevent it shifting while you work. Painter's tape is very good - non-damaging and will not leave adhesive behind (as long as you don't leave it in place for months).

Last edited by Prism99; 11-15-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:25 PM

I've used the homemade basting spray. It works wonderfully. Your house will smell like rubbing alcohol for a while. depending on how heavy you spray it on. I mixed a 32 ounce bottle of it and it was enough for me to spray the front and back of a 80x96 quilt and the back of a 95x95 quilt. I like it much better than pinning. Word of warning, if you use the homemade spray and then iron it dry it might be hard to reposition the quilt on the batting. Make sure you use plastic on the floor for over spray.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:40 PM

Would love to have the recipe for the homemade basting spray!

I also prefer 505 spray. I do lay down a sheet to catch any over spray from the edges. I tried one other brand years ago and it gummed up my needle.

I've gotten more judicious of how much to spray. I have at times taken several weeks to finish my quilting, without any issues. My favorite way to baste!

I think trying it on a small quilt (or even an oversized quilt sandwich) would help with becoming comfortable and having trust that it really does hold.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:09 AM

I have a designated sheet that I use over and over...505 does the job for me. I haven’t been able to find in in the larger cans for quite some time.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I have a designated sheet that I use over and over...505 does the job for me. I haven’t been able to find in in the larger cans for quite some time.
Locally, the same with me (smaller cans only). But I thought I recently saw on Amazon the bigger cans. I need to search again, because would definitely like to have the bigger cans.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:23 AM

If you have a railing or clothesline, or fence outdoors and hadn’t thought of it, you can hang your pieces and spray them. When they are too big, I just fold them right sides together and spray and flip. On my railing I just throw an old sheet over it first to protect the quilt from picking up dirt and the railing from the spray, that the rain will eventually wash off. Ironing your quilt sandwich afterwards sets the glue, even though it is still repositionable, but also highlights areas where you may have a potential pucker and can straighten it out. Iron front then back. 505 is also my spray of choice. Have never had an issue with gummed up needle with it. Joann’s online is where I bought my spray in large cans when on sale.