Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting with invisible thread >

Machine quilting with invisible thread

Machine quilting with invisible thread

Old 11-17-2018, 04:12 AM

Interesting thread. I would recommend that you check with Dr. Bob at Superior Threads. He provides a wealth of information that is well documented. I personally would not use nylon for any technique because of its low melting point-think ironing and pressing. Polyester is a much better choice and comes in many forms for many uses. I personally prefer Bottom Line in beige or gray if I want an invisible appearance. I frequently use it in the bobbin with a cotton thread on the top. It always looks good.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

I use YLI and Superior Threads invisible thread like them both. Aurifil also has a very nice one
Old 11-17-2018, 04:51 AM

I was just using Monopoly this week and it worked well. I ran it through a paper clip attached above the machine before threading it and that seemed to help with the tension. Actually I was thrilled that it worked so well. I used a thinner thread in the bobbin - BottomLine or Invisifil and a #70 needle.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

After seeing that information from Bob at Superior threads, I decided to test for myself with a Rowenta iron on the highest setting (which is pretty hot!). I tried this on both my YLI nylon monofilament and Superior’s polyester monofilament. Neither thread showed any sign of melting no matter what I did with the iron, including leaving it sit on the thread long enough to become worried about scorching my cotton ironing board cover.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
It has been always my opinion and others that invisible thread is not safe for children’s quilts. Some charity groups do not allow it in quilts donated.
Is there any evidence to support this?

bkay

edit:
I just emailed Project Linus to check if there is a restriction. It's not listed on their website, so I thought I might double-check.

I had heard that, too, but had forgotten it. I just wonder if it's really true or it's just an "old wives tale".

Last edited by bkay; 11-17-2018 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:45 AM

Just heard back from Project Linus. They have no restrictions on invisible thread.

bkay
Old 11-17-2018, 08:18 AM

I like Superior Threads monofilament thread as I can get it in matte finish. I don't like most invisible thread because it has a high sheen that seems to glare at you.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:49 AM

I have used invisible thread and found after using it I should have loosened my tension. I have been using it on applique lately. I have also read not to use for baby items. A friend quilted a child's quilt for me years ago and I noticed the thread had pulled up around the quilt. I should have used regular thread and requilted and taken the invisible out. I did not know then that is wasn't a good thing to use invisible on children's items back then. The danger is getting it wrapped around a finger or toe and getting tight enough to do damage.

Last edited by MarleneC; 11-17-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Invisible thread is nothing like the old "fishing line" of day's past. A quality well made invisible thread is super fine and very supple. There is still a school of thought that nylon will turn brittle with age and use but I have found nothing to confirm that is the case with today's monofiliment threads. Unfortunately the brands I use and am familiar with you will not find at any big box store. You will have to order on line or find a quilt shop that carries them. But JoAnnes should carry something.

Superior threads monofiliment is "Monopoly" and unlike most monofiliments on the market, Monopoly is a polyester.

YLI makes a nice one called Wonder Invisible

Sew Art makes one that gets great reviews but I have never tried it

Finally Filtec (the makers of Glide thread) make a nylon one called Essence.

Here is a nice review I just found comparing several brands. Two that I have mentioned are included (Sew Art and YLI)

https://www.quiltersreview.com/six-i...t-to-the-test/
Doesn’t nylon also melt when you iron over it?
I would choose the polyester!