Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
out of print fabric >

out of print fabric

out of print fabric

Old 07-09-2014, 12:57 AM

I also buy it when I see it. I will buy 5 yards if I think I will use it in a quilt, just so I have it and can use it. Sometimes we must just bite the bullet and get it then. There was one I bought 1/2 yard from and then couldn't find any of it anywhere, and never did so I used the 1/2 yard on a small piece and have always been looking since then.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

It causes me great pain to pay full price for fabric. BUT - if there is one that I really really really have fallen in love with, I will buy it when I see it. Because - if it is all that wonderful - other people will think it is that wonderful, too!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:31 AM

You can also try doing a search on quiltshops.com to see if any of the shops listed there have the line of fabric you're looking for.

Donna D., Hemet, CA
Old 07-09-2014, 07:47 AM

I second everyone who suggested eBay.

Also, not sure if you said how long ago the fabrics were printed. My local quilt shop primarily stocks reproduction fabrics (Civil War & 1930's, mainly, but occasionally they'll bring back a newer line). There are both on-line and retail stores that specialize in out-of-print and reproduction fabrics. The retail quilt shops often don't advertise their lines on the web, so you have to find one that carries fabrics from that time period (or new out-of-print fabrics) and call. If they don't have it, ask for a suggestion of who to call next. They tend to be pretty well connected with one another when they carry specialty lines like that.

Good luck with your search!!!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 AM

Ha! You have reminded me of when our guild had Tricia Cribbs, who designed the Turning Twenty pattern, as a guest speaker for our program in April. She was showing us various quilts and patterns, and she had one pattern she had designed around one particular fabric...I think it was a very cute animal design. I can't recall if she was going to make kits or what, but she said she was devastated when she couldn't find any more of the fabric. When she called the company, they had no intent of "running another printing" of the fabric.

Apparently she asked if they would "run another printing" if she bought all of it, and they said yes, but they that would be....oh, I have forgotten....something like 2000 yards or maybe even more...it was a BIG number. Well, Tricia said "Yes," and her husband, who was standing at the back of the room, said, "Yup, she sure did." It was delivered in a huge truck and I think she said it wasn't even on bolts but on rolls.

Then she said her goal was that every quilter in the country would buy a yard or two, and she just happened to have some of it with her for sell. Which she did.

I thought it was funny. Guess you could do the same thing if you really wanted that fabric.

Dina
Old 07-17-2015, 10:49 AM

I'm searching for Timeless Treasures Fleur C-9153 fabric from 2005. It is cream with pale green leaves. Any suggestions?
Old 07-17-2015, 07:34 PM

My quilt shop still has some Wrens and Friends. They are on Facebook. Granny's Quilt Fabrics and More. I am not there now as I am up North for the winter or I would show you what they have. You can contact them. I think the number is on fb
Old 07-17-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
Does anyone know if popular fabric collections are ever brought back into production? I discovered a few I'm in love with but, too late. They are out of production. For those of you doing this a long time, do you know if they respond to public demand? I am looking specifically for Moda Bonnie and Camille Ruby, and Bliss. So disappointed they are gone.
You didn't say how much you were looking for, but I found some on Amazon: Scroll down, as there are 4 pages. Some are precuts, others yardage.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...mille%20fabric
Old 11-20-2018, 05:45 AM

Old 11-20-2018, 07:45 AM

This is an older thread but it is always an issue. I really like the Missing Fabrics website, http://www.missingfabrics.com/
I've been helping connect people with their fabrics since it started.

I see a lot of people there lately especially looking for decor/upholstery fabric. That's often harder to find than quilting fabric since the runs are often proprietary and made solely for the manufacturer. Still, you just never know...

And then a lot of people simply want to make an exact duplicate of a quilt featured in a magazine a year or two ago. Good luck on finding those, especially on multiple large pieces of yardage. There comes a point where you have to say good-bye to the idea of finding the exact fabric and recognize that all you need is a small scale blue print or whatever.

Even when fabric is reprinted in multiple years, often the color way changes or metallics are added/removed, or other changes are made.

Fabric is part of the fashion industry and the tones change from year to year. Many of us can easily date some colors, like the soft peach, sage, and dusty rose/blues of the early 80s.

When you find fabric you like -- buy it! I mostly make scrap or charm quilts so I can buy small pieces. But for some I up that to 3 yards. I have a friend and she pretty much never buys less than 3 yards of anything, for her it's 6 yards if she likes it.

PS: The Board is being wonky. To get your post to show, type it and copy it before you hit "Post Quick Reply". Then immediately edit the post and paste in your copy.