Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it really just take practice to LA? >

Does it really just take practice to LA?

Does it really just take practice to LA?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:56 AM

Look at some quilting on quilts in shows. I did and I am not near as hard on myself now. The ones that are perfect are usually done with a computerized quilter.

There are videos on YouTube also. I ordered some DVDs on Feathers and am looking for that right piece of fabric for a wholecloth design. (may have to dye it myself)

I do donation quilts and get a lot of practice that way.
I have a client that only wants stitch in the ditch on her quilts and that gets boring fast.

Unless the customer requests it I always use a neutral thread or match colors so the quilting design does not distract from the quilt pattern.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:36 PM

You are being too hard on yourself. But yes it does take practice. I do a lot of pantographs and recently started using rulers. I try not to be so hard on myself because after the quilt is washed it makes a difference also once you stand back a look at it, it looks so much better. Your looking closer than what most people would. Just keep practicing and yes a grease board or sketch pad is a great way to practice. Just have them while your watching tv and you will be surprised at the progress you will make.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Yes...practice, practice, and then practice some more. I have found old mattress pads are great practice material. I always "limber up" on some before starting on the real thing. Don't worry about the quilt , your gd will probally love it regardless of the quilting.

Ditter
Old 02-20-2010, 03:56 PM

If that is baaaaddddd quilting, I'm going to quit trying to quilt with my long arm. I'll never be that good. You could give lessons to me.
Rufus2 :thumbup:
Old 02-20-2010, 04:09 PM

Oh goodness--they looks terrific!! Seriously!! My quilter has been using her long arm for years--has a business--but she does't like freehand. There's another long arm quilter I've had do my quilts--and she LOVES free hand!! So--I'm thinking everyone has a specialty?

Good luck!!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 PM

I thought it looked lovely and I'm not just saying that to be nice. Keep up the quilting practice and you'll improve, I know it!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:27 PM

Well, one nice thing about this site is that my own spirits get a boost. I have felt such a failure because I don't fmq very well. I keep telling myself to just keep practicing. I expect perfection which I KNOW will never happen, but reading each comment makes me realize that others face the same challenges and I can go back to my machine and try again. THANK YOU!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 AM

Thank you all for the encouragement. No, it's not so horrible that I would hide it away so that no one ever sees what I did. It was done for myself and my granddaughter so there's no worries that someone else isn't going to like it.

So, practice, practice, practice. I'm going to get some batting and backing today and start just that. I remembered that I have two old tops that I got at a thrift store. They're pretty bad but, in a way, they are wonderfully quirky old tops. One I will re-do the sashing that was hand sewn on with doubled up thread and is so puckered, especially on the outside border, that it actually looks like it was supposed to be a gathered ruffle.

I haven't tried my hand at using stencils or rulers yet. Where do you get those very thick plastic rulers and shapes for machine quilting?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-15674.jpe
Views:	140
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	15674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-15675.jpe
Views:	151
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	15675  
Old 02-21-2010, 10:16 AM

I had the same problem and my husband brought a red beam light and he attached to the machine to shine down on the pattern works like a charm. :D
Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I haven't tried my hand at using stencils or rulers yet. Where do you get those very thick plastic rulers and shapes for machine quilting?

Try these sites:
http://www.thecalicokitten.com/catal...aspx?cat_id=20
http://www.longarmuniversity.com/Boo...nbookstore.htm
http://www.lovetoquilt.com/longarm_q...templates_.htm

Do a search on "longarm templates" and you'll find lots of places. I have heard from several people that they are not happy with the nested templates.