Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Menu Planning? >

Menu Planning?

Menu Planning?

Old 11-26-2018, 05:57 PM

There are tons of WW recipes on Pinterest.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:48 PM

Congratulations on the new pregnancy! How exciting. I could not stand the sight of meat in my first trimester with each of my children, so you're doing well to fix what you do!

I have found the easiest way to meal plan is to take a blank calendar page and write the same meal on it somewhere 4x, tHen 4 of another, etc, until your calendar has most blanks filled. Part of my plan is leftovers, and part is eating out (because it's not realistic for us not to). Sometimes it's Breakfast for Dinner (scrambled eggs and bacon, toast) sometimes Meatless (like bean burritoes), soup/salad/bread, Italian, Sandwich Night (like Reubens) with storebought potato salad. Then you can simply make a master list of ingredients you'll need for a week or two , or however often you shop. I always try to plan for leftovers to either have for lunch or to freeze and pull out on Hodgepodge Night (everybody eats whatever they can find--there are only 3 of here now).

If you like that master plan, just photocopy it for the next month.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:35 AM

First...a big congrats to you and your family on your new addition! Ahhh...morning sickness...I remember those days.

I went off WW a couple of months ago, stopped planning my meals and whoop! the weight started coming right back on. I've also got to get back on program. So, my advice, do try to stick with the meal planning and weekly weigh-ins, even if you're not on WW anymore. It will help you keep in the groove.

Get the other family members to help with the cooking by buying things that they can make s/a homemade pizza (pre-made pizza dough is cheap,) soups and veggie-based stews (very WW friendly,) create-your-own soft tacos, scrambles with eggs or tofu, beans of any kind (zero points,) etc. Let them create in the kitchen. If they complain, walk into the kitchen, drop to the floor like you're fainting and let them carry you to bed. They'll get the hint after a couple of these episodes. It's your time to be a diva. I mean after all, how often do you get to do that?

As for keeping within a tight budget...make a list ahead of time. You don't have to plan every meal, but at least buy good, quality items to have on hand. I use the SAFEWAY ap and I scour their website, adding coupons and deals to my phone before I go shopping. It has really helped cut down our grocery costs. I"m sure that other big chain stores have aps too.

We stay away from processed foods as much as possible, except during the holidays when our guests expect their favorite "goodies." Otherwise, we go with fresh fruits and vegetables, which are usually way cheaper than meat or packaged foods. Send the DH, or another family member off to go shopping with your saved list and a total cap on the cost. (I like to send my DH with a credit card that is almost maxed out. If he goes over budget, then he's embarrassed when the card won't go though. I know, I'm mean sometimes. No 24-pack of beer for you, buddy.)

One last thing...go to some of the great websites out there for healthier recipes. Murphy224 and Farmquilter mentioned skinnytaste.com, which is awesome. There are lots of others too. Just do a search and you'll come up with tons of new and interesting foods to make. (That is, for your family members to cook. Not you...you'll be on the couch calling out instructions, as needed to the "chef" in the kitchen.)

The holidays are a difficult time to keep eating healthy. You gotta be armed and prepared.

Good luck!

~ C

Last edited by tropit; 11-27-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:38 PM

Some tips. Mashed potatoes you can add root vegetables like carrots or celeriac root to extend the volume of dish.
Potato casseroles with added vegetables.
Rice with things mixed into it like peas, beans, corn, colorful bits of bell peppers.
Beef stew from less expensive stewing beef cuts cooked for few hours until fork tender a little sugar and spoon of apple cider vinegar will help soften the beef.
Save bits of vegetables and store in a bag in freezer and end of week you have start for a soup.
Ovenroasted chicken just seasalt pepper and some citrus lemon and/or orange and it roasts in its own juices.