Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need new washing machine, reviews on those big enough for queen size quilts >

Need new washing machine, reviews on those big enough for queen size quilts

Need new washing machine, reviews on those big enough for queen size quilts

Old 11-29-2018, 03:40 AM

I certainly have a lot of company about my opinion of washers. I had always had top loaders. My husband built a house and put in a front loader. When we moved into the house I had all kind of complaints about the washer. It did not clean well, left detergent in clothes and smelled terrible. Used it for the five years we lived there. We moved again and a top loader came with the house. I love it and would never have another front loader. Mine is an older set of machines. I hope they last as long as I do!
Old 11-29-2018, 05:25 AM

I dread the day my top loader with an agitator dies. I have done laundry at both my daughter’s houses. The first problem is the tubs are so deep and Im so short, I cant get the clothes out. I have to stand on something and practically throw myself inside to get the clothes out. Then, the clothes are so wrinkled its ridiculous. I cant believe this is all we are left with after we have come so far with our appliances. There has to be a better way!
Old 11-29-2018, 06:16 AM

I have an Estate (Whirlpool, about 10 yr. old) inexpensive top loader, love it. Probably was the cheapest on the floor when I got it. The saleman kept saying but it doesn't have this and that, really upset I wouldn't pay more. The tub is huge, I even wash a 5x6 bathroom carpet in it. When it comes to queen size top spreads, I take them to the laundry. Not going to overtax the machine. Being in FL, I only have one comforter in spare room, so mostly it gets, shaken and aired on the line most of the time as it's rarely used. Our bed has a decorative fleece blanket as a spread, easily washed. High dollar machines are garbage, today, mother boards barely last a year. If people would quit buying the junk and stay simple, things would change. I had a Westinghouse front loader as my first machine over 50 years ago, it was a great machine. Today's front loaders aren't worth bringing into the house and they're what $1200 plus. Just because they are expensive does not mean the work. Crazy. Spend $400, get an agitator and make life easier. I also use liquid soap, uses small amounts, never builds up in machine, even with cold water wash. And my whites will outshine anyone's.

By the way, write the manufacturer's and tell them you are going to start dealing with Used Appliance stores, so you can have the old style machines that WORKED.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:17 AM

I have Maytag front loaders and I will never get front loaders again. No way to soak clothes, can’t throw in a dropped sock once it is started, hard to keep clean and mold free. When my son and my DIL needed new I told them not to buy front loaders. They have the Maytag top loaders now and love them. All are sports nuts with lots of dirty, sweaty clothes. They work like a charm. There is no middle post and the capacity is huge.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:14 AM

When I bought my first front loader, the salesman told me to clean it periodically this way. Put 2 cups vinegar mixed with 2 cups warm water in machine. Run a regular cycle using hot water. (Can do this twice, if needed). Clean about every 3 months. Then, mix 1 c liquid bleach with 2 c warm water. Pour in the crevice of washer (rubber seal). Add 1 capful detergent in in washer. Close door. Add 1/2 c bleach in soap dispenser cup. Use hot/cold cycle.Use about every 3 months. With my newer front loader, have not had to do that. However, I frequently just leave the door ajar for awhile after washing a load. Also, I have found that using the soap "pods" always gives you the exact amount of soap. I use Oxyclean, too, and my whites come out really white -- no yellowing.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
You want ideas so here are a few.
My daughter has a no agitator top loader. She hates it. Whenever she washes anything dark, she needs to run the washer a second time to remove soap scum. Black pants have white streaks all over if she does it only once. I suppose on the white clothes, you can't see the scum.

I have a Whirlpool front loader and I love it. Never had a repair, gets clothes clean, and spins a lot of water out of the clothes. Don't notice wrinkles. I hang most clothes on the line if I can, and they dry very fast.

I never close the door completely when not in use. The door looks closed but is not latched. I do the same with the dryer and my dishwasher. I have never used any "cleaners" in anything in 20 years. They stay sweet-smelling and look fine.
I need to add that this machine has a "add garment" button that stays on for about five minutes or so after it has been started. You press that button and everything stops. After a few seconds the door unlocks and you can add whatever you want. Then press Start again and we're going again.

It also has a Soak option, a Drain/Spin option and a Rinse/Spin option. I love that machine.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:05 PM

Crosley is a very old brand, but they can't be beat. I bought mine 11 yrs. ago, and have not had 1 service call. They first came out in the 50's and had other home appliances then also.
Mine has a big tub, and I feel certain it could wash a large quilt. It is a top-loading machine, but I love it!
The Website would tell you how to find a dealership. Our appliance store, independent, carried them until they Retired.
Good luck!
Mariah
Old 11-30-2018, 11:34 AM

Thought I sent this reponse yesterday, but don't see it. We have a large capacity Crosley and love it! It hold a huge load, and am sure it would do well with a large quilt.
Crosley is a very old brand--back to the 50's. They made refrigerators, washers, dryers--we also have a dryer, and they all were very good machines.
We have had ours 11 yrs., and have never had a service call.
They have a Website, as I went there for a filter for the dryer not long ago.
Good luck!
Mariah
Old 11-30-2018, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by FoxyLady View Post
When I bought my first front loader, the salesman told me to clean it periodically this way. Put 2 cups vinegar mixed with 2 cups warm water in machine. Run a regular cycle using hot water. (Can do this twice, if needed). Clean about every 3 months. Then, mix 1 c liquid bleach with 2 c warm water. Pour in the crevice of washer (rubber seal). Add 1 capful detergent in in washer. Close door. Add 1/2 c bleach in soap dispenser cup. Use hot/cold cycle.Use about every 3 months.
I find this advice (from the salesman, not you!) aggravating and annoying. I shouldn't have to clean a machine designed to clean, other than wiping off spilled soap, dust, etc!
Old 11-30-2018, 06:21 PM

This is the best washing machine in the world (in my humble opinion)

https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/laun....WA3927G1.html

It washes all my heavy duty farmer clothes and spins them at 1100RPM. Not a misprint, 1100rpm. The clothes come out with so little dampness, that my dryer time is reduced from 45 min or 1hr 15min down to 20min or 40min max. I bought mine at Lowes, but I would fly to germany to get my next one if I had to ...mine is over 15 years old.