Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need new washing machine, reviews on those big enough for queen size quilts >

Need new washing machine, reviews on those big enough for queen size quilts

Need new washing machine, reviews on those big enough for queen size quilts

Old 11-30-2018, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
This is the best washing machine in the world (in my humble opinion)

https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/laun....WA3927G1.html
I found a video someone made of the entire wash cycle, and I'm impressed! It actually fills the tub with water, and it has a center agitator! This might be my dream machine!
Old 12-01-2018, 08:40 AM

We love our Crosley top loader. It has a big tub and I wash very large quilts in it. Have had it 11 yrs., and never had need of a Service Call.
Mariah
Old 12-03-2018, 02:14 PM

Check and see if it has a filter to change. My GF's front loader has one that is a *&&^ to get to take special tools while head on the floor. I wanted a creeper and a lift.. how stupid.

"quote
Crosley is a very old brand--back to the 50's. They made refrigerators, washers, dryers--we also have a dryer, and they all were very good machines. quote "

Don't forget their cars. They made micro cars with fantastic mileage. Alas, no body cared when gas was less than 20 cents a galloon. Innovative designs.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I found a video someone made of the entire wash cycle, and I'm impressed! It actually fills the tub with water, and it has a center agitator! This might be my dream machine!
Is it bad that I actually watched that video, too, even though I have no need for a new machine? Granted, I fast-forwarded through much of it, but it's always been so relaxing to watch close wash and tumble. In college my favorite place was the laundry room in winter--warm, cozy, smelled great, and the sounds put me to sleep.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:06 PM

I LOVE my Whirlpool Duet front loader. My clothes are cleaner than ever and thee is NO smell or mold in my machine. One must read the manual and follow the directions, it is NOT an old top loader, it IS different.

#1 Don't overload, don't fill it to the top. It's water/detergent efficient, you don't have to do huge loads.Do two. If you complain that the clothes "aren't even wet", you are probably overloading it, or you need a repair.
#2 Don't use too much detergent, follow directions. Too much suds prevents the clothes from sloshing around properly. That's how they get clean, NOT by being pulled and twisted by the agitator.
#3 Use vinegar in the rinse cup, helps rinse the clothes and keeps soap residue out of the washer and hoses.
#4 Leave the door open. I ALWAYS do and NEVER have any smell, and I have NEVER cleaned the washer. I use bleach/hot water in one, maybe two loads a week.
#5 Use the "Extra rinse" for every load. It uses little more water and might make a big difference in your satisfaction.

Front load machines us far less water than regular top load, so we should try to get along with them. I would never have any other kind because my clothes are cleaner than before. My current one is probably 12 years old and I will replace it with another just like it when it dies. It owes me nothing.

If you already have one that you are not happy with you have nothing to lose by giving my suggestions a try. Or you can just keep complaining.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:09 AM

I also need a new one, an electrical board went out on mine and the part alone is about 300. Its a front loader and I love it. My daughter and a friend has one of the new top loaders that saves on water like the front loaders. It takes for ever to do a load of clothes. I had a couple of loads and spent 3 hours doing them. The dryer works great. I'd rather spend money at the laundry mat and get done quicker. She hates it too.