Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Round Robin Quilt >

Round Robin Quilt

Round Robin Quilt

Old 12-02-2018, 08:51 AM

Default Round Robin Quilt

You guys are always so good with finding things. I am looking for a round robing quilt for my guild for next year. We will all be sewing our own quilts. Some of the members don't want to pass theirs around. I know there are patterns and tutorials out there. I am not finding anything. I need something that isn't too difficult as we have so many different skill levels. Something with a different skill each round would be perfect but not necessary. Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2018, 10:17 AM

Maybe this might give you some ideas - - -

https://www.patchworkposse.com/round...uilt-patterns/
Old 12-02-2018, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

Doesn't seem like a Round Robin if it isn't passed around. To me it's the fun of it not the end result.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:29 AM

The Round Robin that we did here on the Board a couple of years ago didn't use a pattern. Each round the quilter decided what to add to the quilt top. The creativity of each border that the participants sewed was part of the fun. You might like to check my album of the centers of the quilts and how they grew. https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19669.html If there is no pattern, then each person can sew at their own skill level.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:32 PM

Yes it would be fun to pass the quilts around. A lot of people in the guild don't want to pass them. There are some people in the guild who they don't want to sew on their quilts.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:43 AM

In our guild with over 70 members, only 6-7 people sign up to join a round robin group. We each made a central block of our choice and included whatever background and other fabric we wanted used. We also included a note about size, color, and style preferences. People could add fabric if they wanted, but we kept the rounds at no more than 6" high. The results of this activity were fabulous. You could limit the groups to 4 or 5 if more people wanted to join in. You could also do a "row robin" so that each row was left loose, to be sewn together by the owner. When I've participated in these, a length and height of each row was decided ahead of time.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
Yes it would be fun to pass the quilts around. A lot of people in the guild don't want to pass them. There are some people in the guild who they don't want to sew on their quilts.
That's sad. I made a nice simple center from sale fabric and passed it on. I wasn't expecting a heirloom quilt to be handed back. Even if one round wasn't the best choice so what. In our guild we have a few that have the demand 'IF' before they participate in anything. They get left out a lot.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
The Round Robin that we did here on the Board a couple of years ago didn't use a pattern. Each round the quilter decided what to add to the quilt top. The creativity of each border that the participants sewed was part of the fun. You might like to check my album of the centers of the quilts and how they grew. https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19669.html If there is no pattern, then each person can sew at their own skill level.
And we had a wonderful time, too! This forum has so many patient, creative and awesome members. Hmm, we really should do another round robin in the spring, don't you think Givio?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:00 PM

Since they don't want to pass the quilts, have you thought of each round having a technique instead of a set pattern?
Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 PM

Our guild did a group "row by row" project this past year, and the results were fantastic. The leaders provided several fat quarters of the same material for each "topic quilt". We had patriotic, hearts, spring, black and white, etc. People signed up for the quilt of their choice and took a fat quarter to use (or not use) within their row. Rows could be any height, but all had to be the same width. We had a high percentage of the guild participating. There was a facilitator to keep track of things, but it was amazing how each group kind of "gelled" and the quilts materialized. I think the success of this project is a credit to the goodwill within our guild.