I've caught the bug!

Old 12-07-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Linda, welcome to the addiction! It is so much fun. The variability of the early tech is what hold my interest. Mine is only pre-1900 machines. If I may say, that seems a bit steep for a Johnson Ruffler. Was it in some way unique?
Oh, the Johnson Ruffler is the machine made from a Singer 15 to only ruffle, not the attachment.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
There is a chance the old Alfa is made in Spain or France, even with the Singer type stitch length lever. I generally keep the original finish, cleaning and polishing do wonders. Resin based car polish (liquid whitish stuff) lifts up grime and restore finish quite well. Chips and cratches can be filled in, minor touch ups done carefully will blend in fine. I allow signs of age and wear on a machine, and I suspect the Alfa is in good enough condition to clean up very well.
What do you use to do the touch ups with?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
There is a chance the old Alfa is made in Spain or France, even with the Singer type stitch length lever. I generally keep the original finish, cleaning and polishing do wonders. Resin based car polish (liquid whitish stuff) lifts up grime and restore finish quite well. Chips and cratches can be filled in, minor touch ups done carefully will blend in fine. I allow signs of age and wear on a machine, and I suspect the Alfa is in good enough condition to clean up very well.
Hi, the badge says 'Marca Alfa Registrada' and I bought it in Spain, Catalunya to be exact. I am just going to clean up the needle plate etc. and polish the top, no extravagant procedure needed. OH will make a box base as he did for an old Peugeot. I'll post a pic later.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:55 AM

I have used nail polish to fill in chips (don't tell anyone, but it worked rather well). I have also used a black base paint where the metal showed and then filled in with layers of shellac. It requires a bit of techniquie, but it's not difficult; a cotton rag you make into ball, fine dust or grit made for the purpose, and applying shellac several layers. You can use sand paper, the type that stands up to water, fill in the scratch or chip, then carefully fill in, one layer after another, and gently polish to even it out. There is a dedicated thread on how to restore the japanning on old sewing machines on the top of this forum, I guess that's the most thorough way about it. I have mostly cleaned up more or less grimy machines, then polished and improved with minor thouch ups like described.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by lindawmn View Post
Husband got it oiled and tuned up. <Snip!> My husband goes between thinking I'm nuts and being rather fascinated with the old machinery.
OK, you've crossed the main hurdle, which is getting your hubby hooked, so you've got it made, baby! Lol, good job on the strategy.

Do you sell old sock machines, or just the flat bed knitting machines? I'm a knitter, too, so, um, asking for a friend...
Old 12-08-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
OK, you've crossed the main hurdle, which is getting your hubby hooked, so you've got it made, baby! Lol, good job on the strategy.

Do you sell old sock machines, or just the flat bed knitting machines? I'm a knitter, too, so, um, asking for a friend...
LOL. Just the flat bed knitting machines. I've not used the old sock machines (yet) but am just so enamored with the flat bed machines, especially that Passaps. Yup, Hubby goes from giving me what he calls his 'yarn face' (i.e. I'm pretending I care) but just can't help himself when it comes to fixing things. I'll start something and he starts hovering (like the cat) and next thing I know, he's offering advice or doing something for me I can't manage. He's much more useful than the cat, who insists on helping but offers nothing of value except moral support.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:18 PM

I bought this vintage Peugeot for 10 euros from our local Emmaus, a non profit making charitable organisation. The treadle was in a dreadful state plus we have no room for one, so it is now part of a garden table Husband made a box for the base and it now sits nicely in a niche in the pine dresser.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605010[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewing machine.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	605010  
Old 12-09-2018, 06:46 PM

is the Peugeot from the bicycle/car factory folk?
Old 12-09-2018, 10:24 PM

Yes it is, not exactly sure of the date. Will have to google.....the lion and arrow is the Peugeot symbol.

'1876 Peugeot sewing machines won a gold medal in the Paris World Fair. In 1878, the patent "machine of pedestal table" leads to the development of a machine run using a single pedal.'

Old 12-10-2018, 07:38 AM

My monitor wasn't good enough to spot that. I own Peugeot bikes and have ridden in their cars. Thanks.