Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Deciding between two machines.  (The struggle is real.) >

Deciding between two machines. (The struggle is real.)

Deciding between two machines. (The struggle is real.)

Old 12-16-2018, 04:46 PM

Tallchick - One thing I admire in particular about the Jukis is that they seem so well thought-out. Everything appears to be clearly marked for threading, the manual is clear, and there are other features such as the notch in the hand wheel that lets you know when the needle is in the highest position. Even the carrying case and accessory boxes seem to have been built with convenient storage in mind. That is why overall it seems to be more intuitive.

I'm sure the Janome isn't the most complex machine out there, however. I've found with my hobbies that the less time I have to spend setting up equipment, the more likely I am to actually work on something. (Or even start in the first place.) BTW, throat space will not be a huge factor. I'm not planning to make very large quilts.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:49 PM

Onebyone - It's a great feeling when you are satisfied with your purchase after months of research!
Old 12-16-2018, 04:55 PM

The DX7 is at least 2 steps above the F600. The DX5 is similar to the DX7 but it doesn't include the extension table, additional lighting or as many presser feet. I considered the DX7 for a short time along with the other two, and the local dealer does have its sister machine, the 2000QVP. I sure wish she had the F600. I think have managed to talk myself out of the DX7, as the F600 seems to be equipped with everything I need.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Linmar View Post
...............I'm sure the Janome isn't the most complex machine out there, however. I've found with my hobbies that the less time I have to spend setting up equipment, the more likely I am to actually work on something. (Or even start in the first place.) BTW, throat space will not be a huge factor. I'm not planning to make very large quilts.
And reasons why you would appreciate the 6600 over the 6500. That Accufeed is definitely a huge improvement over the 6500 not having it.

The price you mentioned seems pretty high to me for both of these being older models.

Another thought .... you have mentioned you do have other machines and are concerned about going too high end at this time. Perhaps then, stick with what you have til you outgrow them, and then aim for what you want a little further down the road when you are ready to switch up.

TBH the 6600 was what made me fall in love with sewing/quilting. While I had done a fair amount of sewing/quilting before that, it was my first really good machine. Til then I had basic machines, but they were just not so enjoyable to sew with as the 6600. I credit it for developing my passion, because it was a treat to work with.

Good Luck as you make your decisions.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:42 PM

I, too, have the Janome 6600. It is by far the best machine I have ever had. It is a workhorse. I've had it serviced twice in 10 years. It does not have the Serpentine stitch but it can be programmed in. I also do not have any thread issues. Yesterday morning I was using a quilting thread, in the afternoon a very fine invisible thread. I did not have to adjust the tension in any manner, just went from one thread to another.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Linmar View Post
Onebyone - It's a great feeling when you are satisfied with your purchase after months of research!
I'm am very pleased with it. I had no idea it would be this nice of a machine for the cost. The machines I was thinking of buying were all over $10,000. Yep, they are great and beautiful. But I found out the fee to have one cleaned and checked started at $250 up. One brand was over $350. So when 95% of my sewing is a straight stitch I stepped back and thought it through a little more. DH was puzzled why I changed my mind. I can't explain it as I tend to spend money on myself with no guilt at all and I am certainly not cheap. I felt ticked a sewing machine could cost that much and here I was thinking of actually spending thousands for a sewing machine. I couldn't do it even though I could. I am truly happy for the ones in my sew group who bought the new Brother Luminaire. It's what they wanted and it is big and beautiful. I just couldn't do it. I know you will enjoy and love your new machine whichever one you choose. A new machine is exciting no matter from Walmart or dealer.

Last edited by Onebyone; 12-16-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:07 AM
Administrator

no disrespect at all to juki. but i can easily recommend the janome because i've had several different models over the years and have always been pleased.

i will go one step further and recommend you consider the janome 6700 if you can fit it into your budget.
it has the newer version of the Acufeed system. the attachment goes on and the individual feet snap onto and off that.
i use the Acufeed 99.99% of the time. it not only improves piecing, it makes attaching bindings a breeze.

if not the 6700, then the 6600 because it does have the older Acufeed system.

you will want to invest in the quarter-inch and open toe acufeet now matter which model you get.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:02 AM

If I were in your position I would do as QuiltE suggests and hold off purchasing for a while. As you spend more time sewing you will have a better idea which machine has all the important bells and whistles for you.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:36 AM

I would go for the 6600 as well. Ask about the price difference and check out the comparison chart on Janome.com.
Just put in the model numbers you want to compare and look at the features. I have two 6600's, one at home, one at the cabin. Love this machine. It is heavy duty, but will last for ages.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:59 AM

I traded up from a 6500 to a 6600 Janome because I do my own FMQ and the 6600 has a wider harp space, 9" vs 6" and that additional 3" makes a big difference in FMQ. Love my Janome. Good luck.