Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I tried something new.. ugh.. what now? >

I tried something new.. ugh.. what now?

I tried something new.. ugh.. what now?

Old 12-16-2018, 02:01 PM

It looks to me as though the washer did not have enough room to agitate enough to dissolve and remove the paper completely. I would either wash it again, or take it to a laundromat (larger machines) to see if that takes it all off? I sometomes see those kind of spots when DH leaves tissues in his pockets. A quick rewash usually solves the problem.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
tissue paper like bathroom tissue paper? not! tissue paper like presents are boxed with. it tears easily. I really have no idea what that is. Is that the bottom of the quilt? the roller for cat hair would help. i have one of those advertised on t.v. that wipe across and then you stick it back into the holder and it comes out clean again. love that thing! Good luck!
happening on a couple of shirts? hmmm, where they rubbery ones?. that cannot be ironed on? if so you can't sew through them either. just around. again. Good luck.
When I need to sew across or very near the rubbery designs on t-shirts, I tear narrow strips of waxed paper. I lay these over the rubbery stuff for my machine foot to slide on, trying to only sew next to the waxed paper so I don't have to rip it off later. It works great and makes fast work of sewing those sticky stuff shirts.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

505 does wash out. at least the can says so. it gets softer for certain.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Citigirl12020 View Post
You can use press and seal plastic wrap and it won’t do that. It will stick to something to trace your design and then stick to the fabric but leaves no residue. And they all are a pain to pick out the little pieces when your done!
I had a disaster with Press N' Seal--the thread pulled the marker design through the Press N' Seal and into the fabric/thread--I managed to pick out the Press N' Seal (which was a big challenge) and then had to get the marker out and start over. I would never use it again--just picking it out was almost impossible.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:10 PM

I think it's the adhesive in the 505 that is sticking to your t-shirts--the knit is not as "slick" and even a surface as quilting cotton and it probably stuck better there.
I just used tissue paper to cover some crocheted doilies on a wall hanging so I didn't catch my hopping foot--I use taped and pin it down and it worked great. Don't think I would have used an adhesive.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
I know 505 is temporary stick adhesive, but is it water soluble? I would never use adhesive on fabric that was not water soluble.
I don't think it is water soluble. Believe I have read that, but can't find it know.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:51 AM

Another thing that is suspect is the productyou used to stabilize the tee-shirts. Since it is directly under the knitted fabric it could have reacted chemically with the 505 spray and entrapped the paper. I think a soak in warm or hot water might help. You will not have shrinkage from the tee-shirts but might have some from the batting. I hope some of the above advice will help. That is too much work to abandon.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 AM
mac

I didn't know that the 505 spray is water-soluable? If it isn't won't there always be some little bit of stickiness left on the quilt?

Also, are the T-shirts where are you having problems part polyester? They seem to get those little balls on the them more often than plain cotton. Good luck and don't stress, as something will work.