Boom 21 - Dunes

Old 12-16-2018, 05:29 PM

Sewbiz those are soooo cute!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

Thank you!
Old 12-17-2018, 03:50 AM

Sewbiz, those are precious! Girl, there ain't nothing you can't do, is there?

Pssssssss- I have another great granddaughter due in May and another great-great nephew due in April. Time to make some more baby quilts! I feel that I am so blessed to live long enough to meet my future generations. God has been good to this old woman.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:10 AM

Terriamn, too bad your son will miss Christmas with you but I’m hoping you’ll get to spend time with him soon. And if that’s “cutting back” on cookies, I can only wonder how many kinds you made formerly. You’re a cookie making machine! TG, <3 . Sbg, darling clothes. GramE, yet another beautiful quilt. I’m picturing 50 AV’s. How sweet and touching. . And Libster, congratulations on the upcoming new additions to your family. Clearly they’re never going to let you stop making quilts! And I was never able to master our cookie press. Don’t know what I was doing wrong but I gave up years ago. I still have it and a lot of the little discs for different shapes. Is there a secret to them? I might have been expecting perfect results immediately rather than realizing there’s a learning curve for pretty results.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Janice, did you chill the dough? It's kind of impossible to get good results unless the dough is cold.

Libster, two more babies! What a blessing. I went to a funeral of a 90 year old man recently, and his family was enormous. Not only were his children there, but also grandchildren, great grands, and one great-great grand! The man died wealthy in love and family!

Aside from my two grandbabies, there are two more babies coming in Memphis... My DIL's brother will have a baby next Spring, and my DD's best friend is also expecting in the summer. So, these kids are going to have their own baby playgroup! There must be something in the water in Memphis.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:43 AM

Janice, the basic hint I give people is press, count to 3, stop pressing and lift. If you lift before you stop pressing out the dough, frustration is what you get. And they don’t work on parchment paper in my experience. I use foil cookie sheet so the cookies won’t get too brown. I have a lot of finicky spritz eaters here. But I have had people just give me their cookie shooters because they didn’t have the patience.

Such cute baby outfits, SBG. I wondered the other day if I could sew regular clothing that was cut into squares or triangles. I haven’t for so long, I think I might have forgotten.

The new little ones are so exciting, Libster. I have 7 grands over 18 so we could be having a population explosion here. One is engaged. So i’m patient. Trying to keep up with the 13 I have is enough excitement for now. God has blessed us abundantly.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:05 PM

Sorry that I have been absent lately. I've been trying to get my sewing obligations finished. I made 4 ornaments for a friend to give to co-workers. I also made 3 sets of microwave bowl hot pads for a friend in Virginia. Now that there is only a week left until Christmas, I have to start baking. I'll be making ginger snaps (my brother's favorite), decorated cut-out sugar cookies, white chocolate/cranberry, shortbread cookies and a pumpkin cheese cake to take to my nieces's for Christmas dinner. My son loves to bake and has taken over making most of grandma's cookies. Nut rolls, snickerdoodles, chocolate crinkles, Russian tea cakes, orange cookies, peanut butter, thumbprint and makes his own cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. Nobody goes hungry around here. We love to give to friends and family.

My thoughts go out to all those who are ill, on the mend or have lost a loved one. The quilts I've seen have been really beautiful. Great job! And to those who are expecting new grands, enjoy making quilts and clothes for the little ones.

I've had a scare of my own. I smoked for 44 years and quit 9 years ago. My doctor wanted me to go to a lung cancer screening and a CT of my lungs. I just got the results today. I have 5 nodules in my lungs. The radiologist said non-malignant calcification. I will have to be tested again in 3 months since one is a little larger than the others. But, to me, that was pretty good news. For now, I'll take it.

If I don't get a chance to write again before Christmas, I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. (((Hugs to all)))
Old 12-18-2018, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
Janice, the basic hint I give people is press, count to 3, stop pressing and lift. If you lift before you stop pressing out the dough, frustration is what you get.
GramE, I made the spritz today! I re-read your tip before I began. I was wrong about the dough needing to be cold... it doesn't! So I pressed, counted to 3, unscrewed the press a bit and lifted. Voila! Pretty good. It does take a certain touch you have to learn. I kept trying to make the cookies bigger and they get distorted. I have a bunch of the cutest little camels! I'm going to have to make another batch before we go to Christmas at my daughter's.

I also made butterscotch brownies (chewy) today. Daughter wants pecan pie cookies but those are a bit fiddly, so will save for another day.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Klaws, good to hear from you. I'm so glad your lung nodules are all benign... whew! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-2018, 04:25 PM

Cookie Day 2018 with the Punkadoodle! Fun was had by all! She loves her Charlie Brown pink tree. This is just one of four in the same room. I am so tired I could drop, but she's a very happy little girl tonight. Merry Christmas!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-Cookie Day 2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	605518   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-Cookie Day- Pink Tree.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	605519