Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making  my  first  minky backing >

Making my first minky backing

Making my first minky backing

Old 12-19-2018, 07:14 AM

Default Making my first minky backing

I'm making my first minky backing and need help . First , do you think fleece would be easier to work with ? I'm going for soft . I know that they both stretch , so do you measure your backing the exact size of top and pin, pin, pin? I just don't know how to handle the minky . TIA
Old 12-19-2018, 09:00 AM

Good morning! I googled "using minky for quilt backing" and there are many links. and you can do the same with fleece. Yow will get many replies here, but its worth a look.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

If you're going for soft, I'd go for minky.
Yes, fleece is soft, but no where near the feel of minky ... especially after a bunch of launderings.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:26 PM

I have used minky many times... it is much softer than fleece. (fleece is nice too though). I have never found minky any harder to work with than fleece.

I usually baste my quilts with 505 spray or elmers glue. I don't use pins at all.

I cut the back bigger than the top... probably a few inches overhang on all sides. After I am done with the quilting I trim everything to the same size
Old 12-19-2018, 09:05 PM

i have used minky & fleece for many quilts. mostly for my grands ..wanted soft & snugly. last quilts i made for them the ladies in my quilt group spent a lot of time hugging the quilts they were sooo snuggley.

i hand bast my quilts both for fmq & hand quilting. few years ago i tried spray baste with a quilt with flannel back. first time i ever quilted with machine (domestic) that i had no pleats or tucks in backing ....fron then on, i only spray baste for fleece & minky
Old 12-21-2018, 06:12 AM

I use minky a lot for backings. I do put batting in them also. The only problem I’ve had is I use 505 to baste and sometimes they won’t stick good so I pin along the borders to be safe. And if you have enough left over of the minky I make infinity scarfs. When I use fleece I bat sometimes. It depends on the thickness of the fleece.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:46 AM

I've made some nice throw quilts with FMQ on minky but I hated, hated, hated the mess when I trimmed the edges before binding. So the next couple of minky quilts were pillowcase style which I didn't like the final look of. I think I'm done with minky. I'll stick with fleece. It's not quite as cuddly but it's surely a lot easier.