Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
By The Way….Did You Get A New Sewing Machine For The Holidays? >

By The Way….Did You Get A New Sewing Machine For The Holidays?

By The Way….Did You Get A New Sewing Machine For The Holidays?

Old 12-25-2018, 08:16 PM

Default By The Way….Did You Get A New Sewing Machine For The Holidays?

I sure did. I “unwrapped” mine a bit early at the first of December. I’m now in the process of sewing up a multitude of projects (one will be a quilt-cutting the pieces out now). I have around 90 days to spot problem(s) before I cannot take it back to the place of purchase at all. So far, so good. Actually, we now have 2 sewing machines as the targeted budget allowed $200.00 US dollars for the sewing machine purchase. They both are inexpensive (a Spiegel SP3201 & a Janome Blue Couture) with limited stitches offered on each machine. I like to rotate them as I don’t unintentionally overheat or overuse any given one at any given sewing/quilting session. Each back up the other!

Most people will be surprised that I only wanted basically Straight, ZipZag, Automatic 1 step Buttonhole on one, and rarely a Blind Hem Stitch. I could use the knit stitch even more rarely for a 2 way stretch fabric when doing knits (I sew other things as needed around here too). I prefer mechanical sewing machines over computerized ones. I can adjust, clean, and repair some problems on my own. I don't take them in for servicing anymore. Years ago I did. Now with the price drop on basic mechanical sewing machines makes it uneconomical to take them in anymore. I can buy a new one which will be covered by some sort of warranty. That’s assuming the technician actually does the work. Or worse, does some damage to it that did not exist before. And my sewing machines last just as long as when I took them in. Around 15-20 years or so with these mostly Far East imports.

So do tell about your new sewing machine you got for The Holidays. Is it what you dreamed about? Is it ready to do all those projects lining up at your sewing nook? It’s so nice to know that others could enjoy their sewing machine purchases as much as we do here.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:40 PM

No, I'm satisfied with my herd of machines, but I did sell one, which makes me happy. A friend now owns a gorgeous turquoise machine from the 50s so he can make curtains for his new house.

How nice that you have what you want. I like having two or three machines set up at the same time.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

I got my Juki TL2010q at the beginning of December too. When I moved from MN I sold my TL98q and really missed it for FMQ. My TL2010 is terrific for quilting and I'm thrilled to have it. I leave it set up for FMQ/ruler work and use my Juki Exceed for piecing and other sewing.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:14 AM

(Does it count if you bought a machine for yourself?)

Santa did contribute to the purchase; he never knows what to buy me, so he was pleased that he could give me money toward my new Juki 2000 QVP. I was almost set on the F600 but the dealer had the 2000 QVP in an open box and the price was lowered enough to reduce the price difference gap considerably. I was able to demo one in the store and am impressed with the quality of stitches, quietness, features and (most important for a relative beginner) - ease of use.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:31 AM

I got myself a Babylock Aria during the Black Friday sales. My dealer gave me a price I couldn't turn down on the Monday before Black Friday so I wouldn't have to come in on that busy day. I have been drooling over this machine for nearly a year. I saved about 1/3 of the money quilting quilts for people. I love everything about it, and find something new to love every time I sew with it. It's not like I NEEDED a new machine, I have several others I can use, but I love my electronics. The push button needle threader, the push button thread cutter, the push button thread lock, the clock on the screen, are just some of the great features. I have bought several machines from this dealer, so I know he is reputable, and all repairs are done on site by either the owner or his repair man, who is top notch.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:31 AM

No sewing machine for me, but DH and I got a Mule and I'm very excited about that. It cost about the same as my LA with the robotics. BTW - it's a Kawasaki Mule.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
No, I'm satisfied with my herd of machines, but I did sell one, which makes me happy. A friend now owns a gorgeous turquoise machine from the 50s so he can make curtains for his new house.

How nice that you have what you want. I like having two or three machines set up at the same time.
I also like to have 2-3 sewing machines set up at one time.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I bought two Eversewn 25 machines for gifts.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:34 AM

Congratulations on your new machine!
Old 12-26-2018, 09:38 AM

A new toy here as well, a Pfaff Icon that will keep me busy with some new features to master(or at least learn). It wasn't needed because I loved my old machine but it sure will be a pleasure to use and I do love using all of those fancy stitches.
Lol, Irishrose I get a chuckle from picturing your 'herd' of machines.
I hope all of you are enjoying their new machines.