Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you get patterns from? >

Where do you get patterns from?

Where do you get patterns from?

Old 12-27-2018, 12:30 AM

Default Where do you get patterns from?

I’ve come to the end of several bigger projects I had on the go and am looking for inspiration for my next big one. I really like the sampler look/ varied blocks but don’t really enjoy putting my own designs together - although this is what I have done so far. I love to paper piece as well as hand embroider so I’m up for anything really.

Where do you look for patterns? I see so many nice quilts on here or Pinterest but no links to patterns...
Old 12-27-2018, 04:29 AM

I find a lot of paper piecing patterns of quilterscache.com. And there a lot of free sites, Moda Fabrics is one, and a lot more that I'm sure other members can list for you.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:40 AM

I seem to always be falling for a new pattern book in my local quilt shop and they always have some nice ones in their class list.
If you can find the original name of a quilt on pinterest you can search online for the pattern. Amazon sometimes carries the books.
I can't resist the quilt patterns from Crabapple Hill. They have sampler type blocks and hand embroidery. https://www.crabapplehillstudio.com/patterns
Old 12-27-2018, 04:50 AM

I enjoy free mystery projects and quilt-a-longs. Right now I'm doing the Eleanor Burn's, Fun on the Farm. Bonnie Hunter's, Good Fortune, there is a Gypsy Wife group starting in February. I'm hoping for a 21 Mystery Train Ride (hint, hint) from this board. As far as samplers, I am into Lori Holt's vintage books, Farm Girl Vintage and now Vintage Christmas.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:11 AM

I look for quilting magazines at yard sales, thrift shops, or local quilt shows where they will commonly have a members table. I then have a three ring binder that will organize the patterns in after I pull them out of a magazine or photo copy.
I also recently discovered Jordan Fabrics on YouTube. They both do a very good video that I find are easy to understand and follow. Their website is also a great resource for patterns.
And Pinterest. If you search for free patterns you'll find plenty. My Pinterest page To many quilts, not enough wine has so many free patterns and links, I'll never begin to make them all. Quilt inspirations blog spot which is on my page has 100s of free patterns and you can link to them from my page.
I buy very few patterns and books, I do buy all my paper piecing patterns because I love the quiltworx line the best and those I never find free on a blog or the internet. Which I understand why.
Hope this is helpful for you, good luck and quilt on....
Old 12-27-2018, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

​I have an idea file with pictures and patterns photo copied from quilt magazines. Sometimes I look through it but most often I see something I like and make my own version without a pattern.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:10 AM

I'm another that loves sampler type quilts. I've signed up for a BOW one that is done by the designer that did the 365 Block a Day challenge.

I've found as I progress in my quilting, I'm purchasing more patterns as I'm attracted to ones that would be very time consuming to figure out on my own, and they don't seem to be the type that you find for free very often. I still do plenty ones that I find free or are simple enough to figure out.

I really like equilter for what they have, but it's more suitable for panels, or they are a repetitive pattern.

I've done the Sylvia's Bridal sampler, and bought Dear Jane and Nearly Insane but have not started them. Many of Jen Kingwell designs are in the nature of samplers and I find them very fun to do (don't like her colors though).
Old 12-27-2018, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I have more quilt books than I care to count, all full of patterns. Last year I tore patterns I liked out of my quilting magazines and put them in plastic sleeves, so they wouldn't take up so much room on the shelf. I have hundreds, if not thousands, of patterns in my computer files, some purchased and some free. I can usually figure out the pattern from a picture, so my EQ files are also full of pattern ideas. And yet I have so much trouble deciding what to make next!
Old 12-27-2018, 08:11 AM

ModaBakeShop.com has a great many patterns. You can search for quilt patterns using specific precuts as well.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:19 AM

I usually see a picture of a quilt on this board or at a quilt show that really inspires me. Then I start doing research to get the pattern. Also, I go on Pinterest and get ideas.