Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery thread vs normal sewing thread >

Embroidery thread vs normal sewing thread

Embroidery thread vs normal sewing thread

Old 12-22-2018, 05:52 AM

Default Embroidery thread vs normal sewing thread

I would like to know if anyone has any experience with using regular sewing thread instead of embroidery thread. I have always used embroidery thread but a friend who is new to the hobby ask & I didn't have an answer. Anybody know?
Old 12-22-2018, 06:19 AM

Most embroidery threads have a sheen which makes the projects stand out. Additionally, the polyester & rayon threads leave very little lint behind and don't have any shrinkage. But, if it is a redwork type design, then I don't see why it couldn't be used. I would test the design on a similar or the same fabric before I added it to the main project. Maybe wash it too, if it is going to be a an item that gets laundered frequently.

An expert view on using cotton thread:
https://www.embroideryonline.com/pro...cotton-thread/

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 12-22-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:26 AM
Administrator

if i am using a quilting motif i normally use regular [cotton] thread.
if i don't have the right color in cotton, i plunder the poly embroidery thread.

i have also played with 30wt embroidery thread for quilting.
looks good.

if i'm doing regular embroidery (such as quilt labels) i go with embroidery thread.
i have sooooo much of it i don't feel a need to fiddle with cotton.

i agree, with barb, that she should do a test run first.
i think that applies to just about everything i'm embroidering for the first time.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:32 AM

Most of the newer embroidery thread was developed to add features or overcome difficulties that people experienced using "regular" thread. Machine embroider is not new, only the computerized parts. I've seen some wonderful work done using a Singer 15 with the feed dogs dropped - so all the movement is controlled by the operator.

A lot of choices depend on the machine and the design. If you want to do a dense design on a high speed machine, you need thread that will hold up or you'll be stopping for thread breaks and shreds a lot.

Floriani has come out with a matte finish polyester thread - it looks a lot like cotton so you get more of a vintage look without the problems associated with using cotton.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:02 PM

My dealer told me that when using a regular sewing thread to embroidery, chose a design that is not a real dense one. Regular thread is thicker than embroidery thread and the stitches will be too close together and the design too thick to sew thru easily. I have used regular thread in a matching color in the bobbin and had good luck with that.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:59 PM

Thanks Macybaby for the info on the new matte threads. I haven't seen them hit our LQS yet.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:53 AM

QuiltingD, I have nothing new to add but I think your friend will get quite frustrated if she tries to use regular thread for any higher density designs and thinking back to when I started with my embroidery machine I know that I could not have judged what was higher density. Starting machine embroidery had plenty of tangled messes to learn from without adding the wrong thread for most of the designs to the mix.
I found a great thread sale online from someone closing an embroidery business. It gave me a huge supply of embroidery threads that I was comfortable using up on test pieces.
Cari-in-Oly which of the maderia cotton threads is for embroidery?Do you know, is it equal to a 40 weight rayon or more like the 30 weight cotton made by Sulky?
Old 12-27-2018, 05:00 AM

Cari-in-Oly, that thread looks very interesting. It didn't show up on the site I was on but I will watch for it at a show.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:04 PM

Thank you all for your posts on my question. I've really enjoyed the thoughts and comments.