Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Cutting Table Ideas >

Cutting Table Ideas

Cutting Table Ideas

Old 12-27-2018, 04:16 PM

This is a heavy, old mahogany desk almost 6 feet across. I have two 36 inch cutting boards.[ATTACH=CONFIG]605871[/ATTACH] It's in the center of the room so I can get all the way around. The cats sleep under it. Seems to catch it's share of extra stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20181227_161434_resized.jpg
Views:	3061
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	605871  
Old 12-27-2018, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

I have used the bed risers that you mentioned.
They worked fine, but I did find that I wanted them stacked two high, to get the height I needed.

I now have two 2'x6' tables banked together as one large table.
There's a 3rd table I can add on, when I want to sandwich a bigger quilt.
They have adjustable legs.

.... but not as easily adjusted as the one in TallChick's link.
That one looks pretty darned slick!
Old 12-27-2018, 06:25 PM

After many years of cutting on my 4'x6' table that my sewing machine sits on and I use it to lay my quilt out on it as I'm putting it together, I decided I wanted a dedicated cutting space. I found a 36" tall table on Craigslist. It works great. No more shuffling my cutting board around.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:31 PM

I use the oak table from our other house. I had it in the breakfast room there, but this house has a small breakfast room so I put it in my sewing room with both leaves in it and bed risers under it. I found a large mat at Joanns the works great. I've been using it for 20 years now with no problems.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:20 PM

We had an island built out of four base cabinets on rollers with a Formica top. I think the surface is around 60 by 40. It's the perfect height for me, and I do 99% of our cutting. You could find cabinets at a Restore or a garage or estate sale and paint them to match your room.

Another excellent but more expensive solution is the Martelli cutting table. It's height adjustable and comes in three sizes. If you wait for one of their half off sales you can get a better deal. The table came with tons of their templates and rulers, and also two of their ergonomic cutters.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:18 AM

I purchased an adjustable Husky work bench (on sale of course) at Home Depot almost 2 years ago. http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=D...Qwg8ICw&adurl=
Old 12-28-2018, 04:50 AM

My DH put together a great cutting table for me using two of the Expidit shelf units (I think they are called Kallix now)on their sides. They sit on a frame with casters and are topped with a wood block counter that I think was intended for use as an island. It could be made taller by putting a thicker base on it. It is very much like this https://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/12/...ing-table.html
I got a giant cutting mat that covers the top and I really like all of the storage cubbies underneath for keeping my rulers, cutting tools and scrap bin handy. I made a simple ironing pad that I use on the cutting table and I can lift it off when I want to.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:23 AM

I did buy the Ikea Skarsta table but had to get the smaller one to fit my room. I can use it with a cardboard fold able cutting board on top and it has saved my back and my dining room table.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post
My DH put together a great cutting table for me using two of the Expidit shelf units (I think they are called Kallix now)on their sides. They sit on a frame with casters and are topped with a wood block counter that I think was intended for use as an island. It could be made taller by putting a thicker base on it. It is very much like this https://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/12/...ing-table.html
I got a giant cutting mat that covers the top and I really like all of the storage cubbies underneath for keeping my rulers, cutting tools and scrap bin handy. I made a simple ironing pad that I use on the cutting table and I can lift it off when I want to.
This is exactly what I have. We bought a piece of laminate at Home Depot, had it cut to size and then put iron-on tape around the edge to finish the top. Since I'm not terrible tall, it's perfect for me. I keep a large cutting mat on one end and my cutting machine at the the other. I bought several sets of the Kallax drawer inserts to keep loose notions in underneath, and left the rest of the storage cubes open for other things. I absolutely love it.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:48 PM

I found a kitchen table for $25 on Craigslist and installed casters on the legs. The wheels raise it to the right height and make it easy to roll out of the way if needed.