Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2 Charm Packs and a Pack of white... >

2 Charm Packs and a Pack of white...

2 Charm Packs and a Pack of white...

Old 12-29-2018, 07:15 AM

How about a Jewel Box? Here's a YouTube showing how to with 5 inch squares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF6ro1uOFBc
Old 12-29-2018, 08:53 AM

Jordan Fabrics offers a free pattern and tutorial for the shining star which takes charm packs in color and white.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:58 AM

Jenny has a "Falling Charms" tutorial. Could that be it?
Old 12-29-2018, 12:39 PM

Check out GE Designs Gudrun Erla used pre-cuts. In her new book Stripology Mixology she has quilts using charms.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:53 PM

How about a lattice quilt?
Old 12-29-2018, 04:09 PM

Jenny Doan’s 9-patch Madness is a fun take on a 9-patch. Check to see how your charms will work with it.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:57 PM

Jenny has a pattern that I'm making now -- 2 print charm packs and a pack of white to snowball the corners. It's an easy pattern and you get a lot of bonus triangles out of it, if you are inclined toward a Bonnie Hunter pattern as well. Sorry I don't remember the name of the pattern. I actually bought it at least 5 years ago, before all the MSQ videos started to appear
Old 12-31-2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I've seen some cute quilts by just placing all the charms in a manner that you like and then using sashing to put them together in an I spy type quilt. Cornerstones in the sashing will add another element of fun. Or you could use them for the centers of Log Cabins. Or how about a square in a square? Or a Disappearing nine patch using the white as a constant? Then add sashing and/or cornerstones to finish it off. Or do 4 patches and alternating them with plain color squares? Or just use a sashing with or without cornerstones. You can float the 5 inch patches on a background color then add sashing to get it to the size you want.

Edited to add: Whatever you decide to do, say for instance the 4 patches. I would divide out how many it is going to take for each component and divide that into your 80 or 120 patches to see how big the quilt will be and whether you will need alternating blocks or just sashing. The D9P will use 8 colors and 1 white each. That will give you 10 D9P. Sashing and borders will help fill out.

Another cute quilt I saw. They used all the same fabrics and made a 4 patch with a small sashing within the block. Then you arrange the 4 patches and float them with the same fabric as the small sashing, but use at least a 1 1/2 finished or even a 2 inch as the sashing size. You want to define the blocks.
That floating 4-patch sound very intriguing, do you have anymore information on it??
Old 12-31-2018, 07:45 PM
e4

I agree with geevee’s idea of the jewel box block by Susan Claire, the Gourmet Quilter. For that block you use two of the color squares for the half square triangles and a color and a white for the 4 patches (in her video the red squares would be your white). Her jewel box block is a simplified “Jacob’s Ladder” block. The block is quite versatile - you can organize it many different ways to get various quilts. It also is simple to put together.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:20 AM

Thanks for all the good ideas. I've checked them out and am letting it all percolate through my brain. :-)
I've done several of Jenny Doan's patterns and liked the ease of them. I am intrigued by several of the other ideas, so will keep percolating! Thanks for the suggestions and help. It's tough for me to get going, but once I do, it's all good. Love QB community!