Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Quilts VS. New Quilts >

Old Quilts VS. New Quilts

Old Quilts VS. New Quilts

Old 01-01-2019, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I'm not that sentimental about when I made a quilt. If the quilt lasts long enough for someone's future great grands to have it, the date given would be olden days enough for them by then.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:46 AM

When my sister's friend was told her cancer had returned, I wanted to give her a cuddly quilt. We had celebrated Xmas together for a few years, and I was so sad for her to have to travel that journey. I went through my quilt collection and chose one with her colours and a flannel backing, label was on from completion.... I added a hand embroidered label above that one, that read: Quilted Hugs from (our names) Gifted to (name) on (date) She loved that quilt, and said it was extra special that I would part with it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]606066[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bamboo Various004 (Small).JPG
Views:	957
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	606066  
Old 01-01-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by e4 View Post
Please do NOT relabel your quilt. If you want to ADD to the label or add a label signifying the person you are giving it to, then please do so, but don’t lose the information on when it was actually made. As you gift it, just say I made this quilt and when I saw it the other day I thought of you. I hope you like it as much as I enjoyed making it. Then stop talking. If they care about you, it won’t matter to them that you made it 20 years ago.
Thank you e4. The reason we label our quilts is for the history. How many times have you wondered who made an unlabeled quilt. What part of the country did it come from? Etc. etc. Please do not remove old labels. E4's comment was "right on"---including what to say when "gifting" a quilt.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

I had some friends over recently and invited them to each choose a quilt to take home. Some of the quilts were "new" and some were "old", but I don't think it made any difference. (Hate to say this, but most of them didn't even have labels.)
Old 01-01-2019, 12:58 PM

I always let a recipient look over a stack of quilts and choose what they like. Time of completion doesn't matter. They know I make extra. So whether it's old or new, it's appreciated.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:09 PM

This, exactly.

Originally Posted by e4 View Post
Please do NOT relabel your quilt. If you want to ADD to the label or add a label signifying the person you are giving it to, then please do so, but don’t lose the information on when it was actually made. As you gift it, just say I made this quilt and when I saw it the other day I thought of you. I hope you like it as much as I enjoyed making it. Then stop talking. If they care about you, it won’t matter to them that you made it 20 years ago.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I would be thrilled to get an older quilt. I would feel you cared enough to share a quilt you made and loved.
Totally agree
Old 01-01-2019, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
How's this? "You know that I love making quilts, and I'm getting rather a lot of them waiting for a home. Why don't you come over and chose one of these for yourself? I can't think why I haven't done this sooner, because I'd really love for you to have one, if you'd like one, of course." That way you can filter out those who really don't want one, and are going to use it to work on the car, or some such heresy.
This is a wise and gracious way to part with quilts you no longer want. If a person wants one of your quilts, it’d be because you made it, and they like it, not based on when you made it.

I agree —do not remove labels. Add if you want, but a quilt made in a certain era and labeled in that era should match. I woujd rather take a quilt in 2019 made by my aunt in the 1970s and see the label with, say, 1974, than 2019. The fabrics would match the era.

The wording suggested by themadpatter gives anyone an “out” who simply has no desire for a quilt. For some people, quilts are just not “them.” No shame in that. I wouldn’t want to feel guilted into taking something I didn’t value, but if I wanted something made by someone I care about, the year made would be irrelevant. The maker matters.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:54 PM

Don’t relabel them, just add a note explaining that you held onto them until the right person that it belonged to, showed up. It would make it seem even more special. Would you recut a diamond because it was not new? No you would not, quilts are the “diamonds” that we leave for others when we were gone. I would just point out how long it took to find “the real owner”. It is still your quilting history.

Themadpatter is right.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:21 PM

I like themadpatter's idea of inviting people to choose a quilt from your supply if they would like one. It is better than guessing who might like which one.