Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread tension list >

Thread tension list

Thread tension list

Old 01-02-2019, 02:23 PM

Default Thread tension list

For those with long arm or sit downs like the Sweet 16 what kind of format do you use in keeping notes about thread, needle and tension settings. Would love to see your different methods. I decided I really need to do this after struggling with tension issues for two days. My final soulition after setting top and bottom tensions multiple times. Put a net on the small cone etc. oh yes this is a Aurifil 50/2 cotton. I put the cone on my horizontal thread pin. Success. So yes I need to make note of this in some kind of organization. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

I'm afraid I don't take notes or keep a log. Sometimes I learn the same thing over and over.

I do have a quilter friend that I email almost every day. We both share the problems we're having, and the solution, and we've both commented that we've looked back at past emails when trying to remember something that happened in the past. I'm not recommending that method of keeping track, though - it's harder to find something in emails than it would be in an organized log.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:52 PM

I use Superior Threads guides, they have several, and I find getting the bobbin tension set correctly and then I only have to adjust the top tension much easier and far less frustrating. I do have a few extra bobbin cases that are marked specifically for their corresponding thread. Tension issues cause me far too much tension!

https://www.superiorthreads.com
Old 01-02-2019, 04:58 PM

I keep a little book and make notes whenever I'm long arming. If I have troubles I document what I did and what did or didn't work. I also mark down when I oil it, or change the needle etc. It's been helpful.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:37 PM

I noted if you are having problems with tension on a Tiara sit down go to this site: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM Itis by Jamie Wallen (?) Maybe you can get something out of it that will help.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:14 PM

I'm like Tallchick, I use Superior threads mostly and set my bobbin tension with the Towa gauge and adjust the intermediate tension as needed. I don't really keep a note of adjustments--means sometimes I "re-learn"! But also don't experiment with lots of different threads.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:57 AM

A simple college ruled note book is all you need. Be sure to date each entry you make as that way you can tell how long it's been since needle was changed or the machine was oiled.....and when you had tension problems and what fixed the problems. Keep it handy by the machine!!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

I rarely use a Towa as I never seem to get an accurate reading with Magnaglide bobbins, I think the magnet interferes with getting good reading. I test tension with every thread change be it a new bobbin, different color of same thread on top or completely different thread I test on the side and tweak as necessary. But I don't keep notes on it. I do track my time spent quilting and for that I have a large cork bulletin board mounted in my LA studio and with every new quilt I mark the date, if I changed the needle, needle size, start time and stop time. With every new quilt I tack a new sheet on top as I don't change needles with every single quilt and some quilt may require more than one needle if I am varying the thread type used on the quilt.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:30 PM

Hey GranniesG- I have a Sweet Sixteen with the digital tension upgrade. The way I keep track is pretty simple.

I have a notebook that I keep at my machine. I always get the bobbin case tension adjusted first for whatever thread I'm using in the bobbin. In my book I record what thread is in the top and what thread is in the bobbin. I make a note of what the digital readout was for the top thread once the tension is properly adjusted. This reading gives me a starting point next time I want to use that same thread combination in the top and bobbin. Next to the digital readout I make a note of anything I had to do to work with the top thread- if it needed a thread net, if it needed to be on the horizontal rather than the vertical spool pin to behave, if I needed to skip a hole in the pre-tension bar, etc. I also note if the quilt sandwich is unusual in any way (such as double or triple batting for an art quilt, strange combination of fabrics, etc.) or if it is a standard quilt sandwich consisting of a single layer of cotton or 60/40 batting sandwiched between a top and back that are comprised of quilting cotton.

I make a lot of experimental fiber art in addition to regular quilts, and as a result, I tend to use lots of different kinds of threads, fabrics and battings. Sometimes I will put a different thread in the bobbin than what I've got in the top. Having the tension notebook saves me some time by helping me start out in the general ballpark so that I can pretty quickly do a bit of fine tuning on the tension and be up and running.

Hope that helps.
Rob
Old 01-03-2019, 05:10 PM

When I started fmq, I tried to keep a record, but since then, I adjust tension every time I turn my machine on. The different types of fibers that make up threads are susceptible to changes in heat and humidity. These slight changes can effect your thread. My Baby Lock Tiara doesn’t have a numbered tension knob. I do have a Towa gauge, but only use it if I am using a new to me thread in my bobbin. I quilt with cotton, polyester, metallic threads, and clear nylon threads. I just keep small quilt sandwiches around for setting my tension. And always check your threadpath, if you miss on spot it really throws everything off!