2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-06-2019, 04:06 PM

We are six days into the New Year and I have not bought any fabric. It's a good feeling, really, because I've been focused on a project instead of getting something new. Be strong team members and let's enjoy this wagon ride.

And, to help me further, I cut some red, tan, and green fabrics into 1.5" strips to send to a friend who started a scrappy log cabin but lost interest as she didn't feel she had enough variety. My stash is just a tiny bit less than it was yesterday.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:20 PM

Default Using my mistakes

Remember those backwards triangles I cut? I laid them out to count, & realized they made a perfect windmill! I sewed them together & plan to make an art wallhanging with a windmill as the focal point. Look at 14 wedges sewn together-making a circle about 14 inches in diameter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Windmillsm.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	606302  
Old 01-06-2019, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
Hi ya, I did buy several pieces of Lego fabric. Enough for an all Lego back and a few for the front. Found a super simple pattern on Pinterest. I want to showcase the fabric with big blocks. So it will be easy to get done. And I decided to forget about the 1/2 yard bundle. I don't need more.
I've had trouble sewing since DSD bluntly announced that they were not going to give her anymore chemo or radiation and that she was dying. It put me into a state of shock. She did pass on, 3 months later. It's been a year and a half. I've started feeling like I'm coming out of the shock state but need a push ( !!!! ) to get back into my sewing room.
We all grieve differently. And loosing a child is very difficult. A BFF diet suddenly, but not unexpected. 3 yrs later I still miss her. Along the journey, a fabric collage on canvas with gel medium (no stitching) helped me to think about her and why she was a good friend. It hangs in my studio and helps me remember good times together.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:13 PM

Irishrose2, we will be sending positive thoughts and prayers for you. When you are feeling up to it, I hope you will let us know how you are doing.

Conchalea, your quilt is so pretty. I'm already looking forward to spring; your quilt offers the colors I long for.

Teen, what a lovely gift your LQS gave you. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you use it for!

Sewingitalltogether - I'm so sorry for your loss. When you can, push to do a little bit. When you can't, don't beat yourself up over it.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:42 PM

Conchalea: Very pretty flimsy and a creative use for the leftover parts.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:07 AM

Healing prayers surrounding you, prayers of wisdom surrounding the surgeon and staff.
My husband is a breast cancer survivor vivor. You WILL be better!
Old 01-07-2019, 03:16 AM

Belonging to our moratorium has enabled me to delete fabric ads more easily! I'm working on a Christmas kit I didn't get around to in 2018. Let's go girls...let's keep this moratorium moving!
Old 01-07-2019, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I’m in again this year. I did really good last year and even made a dent. I’m really trying to work on More Scrap quits. I started Bonnie Hunter’s mystery quilt ( Good Fortune) and pulled everything from stash. I cleaned up and organized my shelves. I do not have a lot of yardage left....but still have a lot. Scrappy will be the theme. Or at least Sampler- lots of variety in projects. I have a couple large totes of scraps I really wish would shrink- no matter how much I pull from them they never seem to go down! Magical things. I also have a large tote of flannels- and denim need to make some raggy quilts.
so many projects so little time.
along with the moratorium on buying I’m also going to concentrate on finishing UFOs.
here is my cleaned up shelves, my pulled stash for the mystery quilt and my scrap tote.
Sometime this weekend I hope to organize UFOs
OMG This could have been written by me!!! (By the way, I'm from MI also - maybe there is something to this?) The Good Fortune - Bonnie Hunter - was one I wasn't going to do, until I realized I had all the fabrics in my stash. So, yup I had to do it. Fortunately I have followed through and I'm on the last part. I think I will use my left overs on the backing. Planning to finish 1 UFO (minimum) per month. And, plan on sewing every day, no matter how much my block of time should be.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
I’ve completed the Unwind top just now. I figured I used 18 FQs & 1 1/2 yards of patterned white, so the top has 6 yards in it. It needs 4 2/3 yds for the back + more for binding. In total I think it’ll be about 11 yards. All but 4 FQs were from stash & I had to buy another 2/3 yd of white & 3 1/2 yd for the back. I’m still over on the more from stash than new purchases. I haven’t taken a picture yet but will post it when I do.
Hmmm What is the Unwind? Is it a free pattern? Seems I have seen this referred to a few times.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:52 AM

Cindyb, see post #158 for my pictures of the Unwind top. It was fun to make.