Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
still a little off (seams) >

still a little off (seams)

still a little off (seams)

Old 01-14-2019, 04:50 AM

I have found that even the thickness of the thread can result in a quilt being a little off.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:47 AM

Remember to square up each block before putting them together. On HST I always cut my squares larger and trim them. I do well with squares and rectangles but HST are my enemy and any quilt with them is a challenge for me. I keep trying and someday maybe...… I will get it right. Hang in there
Old 01-14-2019, 07:47 AM

Your not alone Jazzy'sMom. I Love watching Missouri Star quilter Jennie. Your right, she makes everything look so easy and perfect. I'm in the process making my gggranddaughter (not do until June 2019) a quilt. I cut out all the squares, sides out. Sewed them together but. I can see that it's not perfect like Jennies but, once I quilt it, it will look beautiful!!
Old 01-14-2019, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​A couple of tips are when cutting fabric, the line on the ruler should be on the fabric. The unit size after you sew 2 squares together should tell you if you need to adjust your seam allowance.
This one tip has made a tremendous difference in my accuracy. Wish I had been told this years ago.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:12 AM

If you have a machine that you are able to move the needle position and 3.5 is your 1/4 inch position what position do you set needle for scant 1/4 inch?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:49 PM
mac

I have the same problem. I will be sewing hundreds of corners squares to make the snowball block. I always seem to be a little short on the corner squares. I am going to sew a hair over the line on the right side of the line to make it the square that stays on the block a smidge bigger and then I will square it up.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the snowball blocks?
Old 01-14-2019, 02:21 PM

It seems to me that Jenny Doan could be termed a carefree quilter, especially on camera. She's more about demonstrating the overall impact of a quilt and the sheer fun of making it than getting everything just exactly right. As far as I know she's my kind of quilter rather than someone who is making marvels of workmanship that will take prizes in shows (or perhaps I'm missing some information here). In any case, the work she does in front of a camera is not done for perfection so much as sharing the design and encouraging viewers to try it. If you really want to improve your precision, Sharon Schamber's videos have more of that. Another resource would be the videos by various people demonstrating how to use their rulers or other tools. The manufacturers want you to have good success with their products, so they will demonstrate them in a way that will emphasize technique. But if you need to be inspired and motivated, Jenny's your gal!

One other thing to remember about her is that when she says "we" made this quilt, I'm sure she's not using an imperial pronoun. She isn't the one putting together each and every one of those wonderful quilts hanging behind her. There are little elves who do most of the grunt work of cutting and sewing, and I'll bet they don't breeze through it quite as fast as Jenny does on camera.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
I have the same problem. I will be sewing hundreds of corners squares to make the snowball block. I always seem to be a little short on the corner squares. I am going to sew a hair over the line on the right side of the line to make it the square that stays on the block a smidge bigger and then I will square it up.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the snowball blocks?
Sewing to the right of that line will help. Remember that the corner to corner line is the FOLD line not the STITCHING line - sew just to the outside of the line to allow for the fold of the fabric and the thickness of the thread.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:07 PM
mac

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
One other thing to remember about her is that when she says "we" made this quilt, I'm sure she's not using an imperial pronoun. She isn't the one putting together each and every one of those wonderful quilts hanging behind her. There are little elves who do most of the grunt work of cutting and sewing, and I'll bet they don't breeze through it quite as fast as Jenny does on camera.
Just like those cooking shows that show you how to cook a whole meal in 30 minutes. LOL
Old 01-15-2019, 05:37 PM

Thank you everybody for helping me out. I truly appreciate it. Will just keep trying. I do love to make something new and glad I am not the only one that has a few problems. Thanks so much.