Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure I like how this turned out >

Not sure I like how this turned out

Not sure I like how this turned out

Old 01-13-2019, 08:00 PM

I think it is worthy of hanging up on a larger, narrow wall. I do like your fabics and colors. You could hand stitch a sleeve on the back and gift it to a friend who has a dull office to work in, or a business owner who needs something nice for an office wall. I really like the geometry of it.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:34 AM

First, I want to compliment the use of color and the fabrics you used. They are bright and cheerful, well coordinated. You asked for comments so here are mine. I would have scattered the like blocks a bit so they aren't side by side-- Perhaps the blocky looking ones in the corners and the bows between them? At hotels I'm seeing those strips that I forget what they call them but across the foot of the bed. Perhaps this width/length would work to have placed the blocks so they went the other way to put across the foot of the bed. Each block is so pretty--you will like this more when you quit evaluating your work and enjoy it for what it is.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:05 AM

Great, modern quilt. Love beach idea!!!
Old 01-14-2019, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
What I find so much fun about quilting is that we get to make the rules. I really like your quilt. The only thing I would change is maybe make some borders so it's a size more useful to you, maybe.
I love that ribbon block! I also like the other blocks and the fabrics you used. I never thought I'd like modern quilts but it turns out I love them!
It's a great quilt and you did a fine job.
Thank you for reminding us that we are the boss of our quilting! I teach quilting classes and constantly am asked, " can I do this"? , "Can I put this with that"? My reply is almost always, " You Are the boss of that block"!
Old 01-14-2019, 06:12 AM

Are you crazy? This is beautiful!
Old 01-14-2019, 06:26 AM

It's great to learn something from each quilt we make. For me, it's the imbalance between blocks with white around them and blocks without. Or maybe that some have it on a few sides but not on others . . .

I've gotten to be a fan of Jen Kingwell designs. She does a lot with a variety of blocks with more random placement. I'll admit I don't typically like her fabric choices, though I love the patterns.

I do a lot without patterns, and most of them don't really turn out like I was hoping, but I learned a lot in the process. And so far, there has always been someone that loves the finished quilt. I know that I missed the mark I was aiming for, they only see a nice quilt!
Old 01-14-2019, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
What I find so much fun about quilting is that we get to make the rules. I really like your quilt. The only thing I would change is maybe make some borders so it's a size more useful to you, maybe.
I love that ribbon block! I also like the other blocks and the fabrics you used. I never thought I'd like modern quilts but it turns out I love them!
It's a great quilt and you did a fine job.
So agree with all your thoughts. Also, your borders do not have to be the exact same size. I'd make 'em wider on the sides to perhaps give you the size you'd like.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:18 AM

I like your individual blocks and your color choices. Since you asked for blunt comments, I would only mention the disparity between some blocks having sashing and others not, but I would happily have this at the end of my bed!
Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 AM

I love this. So cheery. It would make a great wall hanging in your sewing room, or a lap and leg cover for watching TV.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:30 PM

You now have the experience and knowledge to repeat this type of quilting for the future. We all learn something every time we turn on a machine. I think it's a lovely quilt. Well done.

I have several smaller quilts like this. I call them the "Kid & Floor" quilts. I keep them under my sofa cushions, ready to whip out when needed.