Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best sewing machine? >

Best sewing machine?

Best sewing machine?

Old 01-19-2019, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by lyric girl View Post
Very true, but a couple things. One, warranties do not transfer to the new owner. Two, I paid $2,000 Canadian for that Janome new three years ago. Read reviews.
Hmmm. The seller who is asking $2,000 says she paid $3999 for it new. Are the reviews bad?
Old 01-19-2019, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Hmmm. The seller who is asking $2,000 says she paid $3999 for it new. Are the reviews bad?
I bought my Janome 8900 off Craigslist. The lady who had it listed had all her original paper work, box, and sold it because it had to many bells and whistles. She was more of a vintage straight stitch gal she told me. This was her first computerized machine and it was to much for her electronically. Her original PW that was in the manual book and it showed me the machine was just two years old and she paid over $4000 for it, I paid $1500 for it. Great machine, I've had it almost 3 years and just love it. Highly recommend it, only draw back for me, it has a carry handle, but holy cow, it has yet to leave my studio due to how heavy it is.
Vanna, there are great deals to be had out there. You can save a lot of money and find great deals for any budget in a variety of machine styles for a larger harp size, just keep your eyes open. Good luck searching.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:10 AM

Have you considered a vintage sewing machine? They usually have a larger harp space, are inexpensive, last forever and are easy to find. The downside is they are heavy. A Singer 15-91 is said to be an excellent FMQ machine. It has something to do with the way the bobbin sits that is supposed to make it work so well at FMQ. There are Japanese made models from that era that should work well, too and they would usually be less expensive.

bkay

This one is a really nice example: (Note where the tension is. The similar Japanese models would have the tension in the same place.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]607019[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15-91.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	607019  
Old 01-19-2019, 06:06 AM

I had a older version of that machine. I called it Dobbin (named after my grandfather's Clydesdale). That machine was a workhorse. I did quilt large queen size quilts on it. It wasn't easy and I had arm muscles develop from maneuvering the quilts through the throat area.lol. Hope yours works as long as mine. If you definitely want one for FMQ, I'd suggest a 1500Q. I have one. I don't like that the bobbin is on the side.....it's hard to get at when machine is set in a table..... but it's a great machine for quilting.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I also have the Brother PQ1500 and I set it in an Arrow table. I start around the center and work out so there is less and less under the harp. I just did a queen size no issues. I think amazon has them on line for about $500. They don’t require much in the way of service if you maintain them
Old 01-19-2019, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Have you considered a vintage sewing machine? They usually have a larger harp space, are inexpensive, last forever and are easy to find. The downside is they are heavy. A Singer 15-91 is said to be an excellent FMQ machine. It has something to do with the way the bobbin sits that is supposed to make it work so well at FMQ. There are Japanese made models from that era that should work well, too and they would usually be less expensive.

bkay

This one is a really nice example: (Note where the tension is. The similar Japanese models would have the tension in the same place.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]607019[/ATTACH]
I too love the vintage Singer for FMQing. They are very smooth and don't miss a beat.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:03 PM

I don't have that machine, but I do have a Singer HD 110. It came from Fleet Farm! That machine is a workhorse. Every quilt, wall hanging, bag, alteration etc. has been done on that machine. I don't do quilt as you go. What I do, what works for me, is when I quilt, I start in the middle, and work outward. I roll my quilt and it's only "tight" for a few blocks, or rows. By maneuvering it top to bottom, side to side, I can make it work. Keeping the bulk of the quilt to my left and supported by the table it helps too. I mostly do SITD, echo, cross-hatch, or meandering. I find I have to take it a little slower. Sometimes that's hard for a quilter!
Old 01-20-2019, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have the Brother 1500, straight stitch only and fairly large throat area. They cost about $600 -$700 new. Comes with ext table, walking foot, and 1/4 foot. Will last a lifetime, all mechanical. Nothing wrong with the cheaper machines at Walmart. Sew the devil out of one until it breaks. No need for repairs, just buy another one.
I bought the 1500 when they first came out, approx 17 years ago, great machine, still going strong. I've FMQ many, many quilts on it.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:06 AM

To Just a Bit Crazy, new... they are selling for $1999 with Bundle of extras on Amazon.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I too love the vintage Singer for FMQing. They are very smooth and don't miss a beat.

I have two vintage Singers, my own first machine (bought used) and much loved little 99K, and a 15-91 that belonged to my stepmother. I haven't tried FMQ on either but the comments here have persuaded me to try it on the 15.